Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Re: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Hybrids are not always sterile, but there is a decrease in fertility within these offspring.
    Even when fertile hybrids survive the lower survival rates due to compromised predator escape physiology...
    Reduced reproductive abilities of hybrid deer is still one of the main causes of WT dominance over Mule Deer.

Who's your Daddy?
    It's almost always the WT.

WT deer not only outcompete and potentially replace MD by simply having higher reproductive rates (greater number of twins and triplets),
    MD end up with even lower reproductive rates where hybridization occurs as it is female MD that are producing the majority of these young *******s.

Humankind has known and followed this strategy in war for eons.
    If you can't kill 'em, F' em.
    Went digging some more after your post and from what I found hybrid bucks are sterile but not all hybrid does are sterile in MD/WT hybrids. Could not find if it’s the same with BT/WT but assume the odds are it is.

Not seeing much on BT/WT hybrids or interaction between the 2. Do you know of any in-depth studies on it?

^^^^I think finding anything between WT and BT interaction is actually rare because of the terrain
    etc. where BT are found compared to WT.
    What Caddisguy is basically showing is something "new".
    Maybe even possibly the first of it's kind.
    After all, we never saw WT close to the coast here where BT are found.
    But now it is starting to happen.

Give it a few years and there will be some useless study about that in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^I think finding anything between WT and BT interaction is actually rare because of the terrain
    etc. where BT are found compared to WT.
    What Caddisguy is basically showing is something "new".
    Maybe even possibly the first of it's kind.
    After all, we never saw WT close to the coast here where BT are found.
    But now it is starting to happen.

Give it a few years and there will be some useless study about that in the works.
    Found info out of Washington it’s just limited

I recall some genetic research that indicated mule deer are the consequence of a much earlier intersection of whitetail and blacktail populations.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    I recall some genetic research that indicated mule deer are the consequence of a much earlier intersection of whitetail and blacktail populations.
    I'm not questioning what you read but why do you suppose the antlers stayed more bt?

not the vaguest idea, but Wiki comments "Mule deer apparently evolved from the black-tailed deer.[9] Despite this, the mtDNA of the white-tailed deer and mule deer are similar, but differ from that of the black-tailed deer.[9] This may be the result of introgression",

Introgression differs from simple hybridization. Introgression results in a complex mixture of parental genes, while simple hybridization results in a more uniform mixture, which in the first generation will be an even mix of two parental species.
    Last edited by dracb; 05-24-2019 at 12:50 AM.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I was surprised to see a pair of them up by Murray lake a few years ago although I’m not sure if I should have been...
    I can show you a spot where they cross the main road in on a regular basis. I've seen WTD 5km from Boston bar on one of the FSR's a few times
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

herrling island not far from his area has wt.... no season

Quote Originally Posted by BCHunterTV View Post
    herrling island not far from his area has wt.... no season
    30km one cam 40km on another as the crow flies from there and quite a few mountain ranges in the way if you go that route, within "reach" I'd guess... they're being sighted in in Skagit/Jones/Harrison/Agassiz/Chilliwack on a regular basis (verified, tons of messages from Hope to Abby) reports coming in out of Squamish/Pemberton and a few Islanders (not personally verified but I don't doubt it off the descriptions) Draw a 30-40km circle and combine that with regular sightings it seems like a lot... Washington and Oregon already has them up to the coast.

Seems that (what used to be mythical) Herrling Island herd is getting darn big and spread out. I'm skeptical that is where they are flooding in from, but your thoughts on it carry a lot of weight with me on why no season. My instinct was napalm. Some guys want WT but to me it's like bass in the fraser
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-24-2019 at 11:28 PM.

I think you are swimming against a tide, and can't win.
    Whitetails are survivors - and will occupy available habitat, evading attempts at control if someone is so foolish to try.
    Tell me how well attempts to control Blacktail deer in Oak Bay are? If you had the means, the political blowback would defeat you.