Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Re: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Thought WT numbers were decimated by the doe season in the interior?
    They are now showing up in rainforests of the lower mainland?
    They keep expanding?
    What?

This is pure nonsense to most that blame game managers for ever single problem to their hunting woes.
    If a WT doe season is THAT effective, all the more reason Region 2 needs one LOL

In all seriousness, you're making a good point. All these golden nuggets of fixes hunters have including myself are often contradictory. Some are probably right, some are probably wrong. Most of us are not biologists. Assessment from actual biologists is what is needed. If hunters were allowed to dictate hunting regs, I don't think there would be any open seasons or any permitted hunting methods. Collectively worse than anti's sometimes in that regard.

I do get the feeling there is not a ton of resources though and I suspect as a result, the biologists and game managers focus on what they can, but inevitably fall behind in other areas. The fact the regulations still cite a "small population of WT's around Herrling island, so take caution" or whatever demonstrates several years of lag. If a season isn't warranted, but it is noteworthy enough to inform hunters, it should at least read "There is a significant number of Whitetail deer all over Region 2, hunters are reminded to there is no season".
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-19-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Re: Whitetails taking over Blacktail spots in Region 2: The Video

From a "conservation" standpoint, there is no reason why hunting WT in Region 2 shouldn't be allowed.

I've said for years that there should be a long "either sex" WT season, with a limit of at least two, in R2.

There's no downside to that as far as I'm concerned!

Likely won't stop the invasion, but might slow it down a bit...

Interesting in many different regions of the provience people are worried about declining animal
    populations you have one that may be increasing/expanding and you want to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Interesting in many different regions of the provience people are worried about declining animal
    populations you have one that may be increasing/expanding and you want to shoot them.
    If the population increasing is at the expense of another population decreasing, then absolutely.

If you have a population of gray squirrels wiping out douglas squirrels and birds, do we cheer on the gray squirrels for increasing their population? If a wolf population is exploding at the expense of ungulates, do we cheer on the wolves? Seems like cheering on snakeheads or bass in the Fraser or the seals exploding to the point they are eating up any little sturgeon they can find. Such increases are not always a good thing. When I am fishing for cutthroat trout in Harrison Lake and I have seals chasing after me and my trout on the 5wt fly rod, I don't think hey cool there's so many more seals in an inland freshwater lake. It makes me think there are some huge problems that we should be mitigating while addressing the cause of those problems.

Blacktail deer inhabit the tiniest sliver of coastal habitat in North America. There are WT deer all over the rest of the continent. There is zero risk to them as a species on a 1000 year timeline. Again I am not a biologist, but I think cheering on any expansion of WT deer populations into blacktail habitat is contrary to biodiversity and essentially cheering on the (probably inevitable) extinction of a rather rare and unique species (and obviously a lot more sensitive species when you look at the population distribution) Simply put, we too here on the coast are worried about the decline of species. Unfortunately, blacktail deer do not have advocates in the tens of millions like other deer species (because they only exist in a tiny area on this entire planet) just a few hundred (or maybe a few thousand) people care about their habitat and their fate.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 05-19-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    If the population increasing is at the expense of another population decreasing, then absolutely.

If you have a population of gray squirrels wiping out douglas squirrels and birds, do we cheer on the gray squirrels for increasing their population? If a wolf population is exploding at the expense of ungulates, do we cheer on the wolves? Seems like cheering on snakeheads or bass in the Fraser or the seals exploding to the point they are eating up any little sturgeon they can find. Such increases are not always a good thing. When I am fishing for cutthroat trout in Harrison Lake and I have seals chasing after me and my trout on the 5wt fly rod, I don't think hey cool there's so many more seals in an inland freshwater lake. It makes me think there are some huge problems that we should be mitigating while addressing the cause of those problems.

Blacktail deer inhabit the tiniest sliver of coastal habitat in North America. There are WT deer all over the rest of the continent. There is zero risk to them as a species on a 1000 year timeline. Again I am not a biologist, but I think cheering on any expansion of WT deer populations into blacktail habitat is contrary to biodiversity and essentially cheering on the (probably inevitable) extinction of a rather rare and unique species (and obviously a lot more sensitive species when you look at the population distribution) Simply put, we too here on the coast are worried about the decline of species. Unfortunately, blacktail deer do not have advocates in the tens of millions like other deer species (because they only exist in a tiny area on this entire planet) just a few hundred (or maybe a few thousand) people care about their habitat and their fate.
    Huh only exist in a tiny area of the entire planet, sounds like some thing that should be protected.

Whitetails are not the problem. Whitetails are just more adaptive to human habitat alteration and interference.
    Human impacts are the problem with changing species distribution.

Quote Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
    Whitetails are not the problem. Whitetails are just more adaptive to human habitat alteration and interference.
    Human impacts are the problem with changing species distribution.
    This is the correct answer that everyone ignores when it comes to species expanding their range. There are many examples of different species expanding their range and it always comes down to changes to the ecosystem naturally or by man.

In my lifetime I have watched examples of moose, elk, turkey, grizzly, mule deer, and whitetail expand their range in B.C.. Oddly enough many in most cases people cheer about the newly established populations and opportunities that come with it but whitetail are deemed a scourge when they expand in BC

The fact of the matter is things are ever changing and as much as man wants to keep the ecosystem just the way it is and control the species it’s not going to happen

These fluctuations will continue no matter how much people think they can freeze time

In the event of an apocalyptic happening there will be two creatures that will survive.
    Cockroaches and whitetails.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

^^^^At least Whitetails taste good

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    In the event of an apocalyptic happening there will be two creatures that will survive.
    Cockroaches and whitetails.
    With their range including both North and South America it’s pretty clear how adaptable they are and elk don’t seem to be far behind in the ungulate family