Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Re: Whitetails taking over Blacktial spots in Region 2: The Video

Whitetails have been regularly taken/spotted up Sunday summit off the Hope/Princeton Hwy for over 30 years . As the crow flies, not very far and down hill all the way to the lower mainland. Why would anyone be surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Whitetails have been regularly taken/spotted up Sunday summit off the Hope/Princeton Hwy for over 30 years . As the crow flies, not very far and down hill all the way to the lower mainland. Why would anyone be surprised?
    Exactly! I do believe that is where they came from. I was surprised there was ever any debate over the existence. Though TBH I was surprised to hear of sightings around Squamish and Pemberton.

I know from some experienced people that white tail have been spotted between whistler and squamish and I swear to this day I bumped 2 white tail out the squamish Valley driving out for blacktail on the road. This was 4 years ago but no one believes me.

I was surprised to see a pair of them up by Murray lake a few years ago although I’m not sure if I should have been...

Caddisguy I think it’s good to report evidence of WT and maybe even suggest that there should be a WT season do to concern about BT populations even. But I will be completely honest with you there will never be a spring season or any major steps taken to eradicate them from region 2.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    My observation is this.

Blacktail deer inhabit a TINY SLIVER of coastal region in ALL of North America. It's about the tiniest sliver of habitat for ANY mammal on the continent, PERIOD.

We are clear cutting the **** out of their habitat and the more we do so, the more WHITETAILS and WOLVES (we haven't seen or heard any wolves in this valley in 25 years and now we hear them howling are are finding tracks, wolf poop and fawn hooves)

In this area making up multiple MU's there is NO SEASON for WOLVES or WHITETAILS (like they don't even EXIST)

I think the future of blacktails is grim. Nobody on the entire planet cares about them or the sliver of land they exist on except maybe a few hundred people on this entire continent.

I want a wolf season in ALL of region 2 and a WT season and perhaps even a spring WT season is warranted. I'm not a biologist... just a hunter, but I am starting to think I am qualified?

It is my belief that opening up WT's and wolves in ALL of Region 2 is necessary and urgent.
    This^^^^^
    I am really starting to believe that it is logging that is really helping the expansions of WT.
    And where there are WT's, wolves soon follow

I know I have seen in the EK, way back in the high country, where you would only see MD, we are
    now seeing WT instead.
    I have seen cutblocks that are so high up, just below the sub alpine/alpine which now are inhabited by WT's, and we now rarely see a MD in those areas!

WT's just seem to be able to migrate into these areas once logged where they never would have before.
    Also, even 20 years after the cutblock happened and trees start to regen, the WT will hang in it all
    day long, protected from view and plenty of feed.

I couldn't believe the past season up in the EK where I saw a WT doe.
    Almost in Goat Country!
    And miles beyond the last MD we saw going up.

I would have thought the Fraser would have been a bit of a natural obstacle for those WT's dropping down through Manning Park area's, but still . . . . they are rats.

There have been WT in the upper Fraser for decades. I remember as a kid when a deer tag was a deer tag our neighbor coming home with a 3pt WT from the Popkum Fraser area.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    I would have thought the Fraser would have been a bit of a natural obstacle for those WT's dropping down through Manning Park area's, but still . . . . they are rats.
    If they’re coming from the similkameen area they wouldn’t have to cross the Fraser

Thought WT numbers were decimated by the doe season in the interior?
    They are now showing up in rainforests of the lower mainland?
    They keep expanding?
    What?

This is pure nonsense to most that blame game managers for ever single problem to their hunting woes.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea