Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food and bears .. What's your strategy?

Re: Food and bears .. What's your strategy?

Il usually slide the cooler closer to my buddy’s tent at night. Seems to work.

Hmm nothing ever in tent..no food..no coffee no brushing teeth..nada.
    game animals hung 100 feet from tent
    Food hung high between trees if possible in 2 separate caches..if one is hit. .50 % survives..
    One spring in Kwatna guides brand new $1500 wall tent plus contents distorted by just Chocolat bars under a pillow..by 800 pound nightmare ..fortunately it was day time they were out checking for bears.
    srupp

I always vacuum pack all the meats I bring to help stop any smell from them, and yes leave the coolers away from were we sleep.

sheep/goat hunting i usually only hang my food 25-50 yards away in plain sight that my head lamp can light up and sleep with one in the tube. if we have a boned out goat that usually gets thrown in contractor bags and submerged in a lake/ creek if possible
    elk hunting never really had a problem with bears yet with cooking at a fire close by and hanging elk quarters maybe 20 yards away but i also dont tent it for elk.
    just clean up your garbage. use common sense and you should be fine.

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

When I used to do a lot of backpacking I always kept my cooking area away from my sleeping area
    and hung anything resembling food up as high as I could. Same when bicycle touring up north, including
    doing the Alaskan Hwy. Never had a problem. When hunting, never cook in or near my tent. As many
    have said, they haven't had issues, but it only takes one time. I know of people that have had bears come
    right inside their tent, and even a tent trailer while they were sleeping...places that they had both food stored
    and had cooked inside. I will say though that those incidents were all near park campsites where it can be assumed
    bears were familiar with human food and garbage and were not afraid of humans.