Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all ultra runners

Calling all ultra runners

The season for mountain racing is upon us and it helps get us in shape for mountain hunting.

Anyone other trail runners on the forum? I'm always looking for partners to run/train 50km+ in the local LML mountains.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Calling all ultra runners

I have done 1 ultra. 2 years ago I did Squamish 50.
    Sadly my mileage is no where even close to that anymore

That's a hard race. I have not run it but I volunteered one year and witnessed the carnage. If you've done the distance, you can always make steps back. What kind of hunting are you into?

I'm in!! I've run a couple. The Squamish 50. Did the 50miler. And just returned from Costa Rica and ran the "coastal challenge" over there in feb. looking at the fat dog this year. And ready to get hunting. Already out chasing bear.

Good for you guys, always admired guys that could run mega distances.....
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

did the frosty mountain 50km ultra about 5 years ago, what an awesome experience. Only problem is that its mid - September and right when I like to chase elk and sheep. Im not in LML anymore and not training like I used to b/c busy with family. I did my own Babine mtn park mini ultra one day that was 44km and very rewarding. I did a loop via the trail systems there and back to vehicle (gear: running shoes, small pack with water, filter, snacks and bear mace). Saw a couple groups of goats and a couple of singles... billies? I plan try more of these loop marathons with tougher shoes/boots and bring binos for scouting purposes (or drop off at one lake and pick up at another). This of course only works where there are half decent trail systems, however even in remote areas that I have explored with backpacks I found game trails and horse trails that I could scout with light gear and a partner where there are good sheep, elk, caribou etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BowRunner View Post
    That's a hard race. I have not run it but I volunteered one year and witnessed the carnage. If you've done the distance, you can always make steps back. What kind of hunting are you into?
    This is first year hunting.

Rebuilding from an injury, too many pavement marathons and a bike crash, but hope to be at it by next season. So many incredible races here in BC and our neighbouring states. Maybe Sun mountain next year or Frosty as it is reasonably close.

If you guys slowed it down to a walk i would be interested.LOL Not sure my very good knees could take that pounding at 57.I train every week would be interested in some big hikes.
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Had to work today so I'm slow at responding. I love hearing there are like minded people out there. Sometimes you think you are the only one with such diverse interests. I'm thinking of the Frosty also or maybe the Coast Mountain mystery race in September. I will probably try for an extended early season hunt so there is no conflict. We'll see.

Bear, that Coastal Challenge looks epic. I've run up around Cathedral Lakes, the Fat Dog start area - it's beautiful up there.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for a trail run 25-50k to start - PM me. I usually head out early Saturday mornings.