Hi all,

With my PAL on its way I figured it's time to say hi and thanks. Been reading and lurking for a while trying to soak up as much info as I can and the wealth of info on this forum is immense, so thanks to all who freely share their stories and info on this forum.
Having no one in my social circle who hunts or even shoots this forum is an invaluable resource, and I think i gained a decent grasp of what it takes to put meat in the freezer. Patience and going out, a lot!

What does leave me somewhat confused is gear choice, opinions are a dime in a dozen and the choices are staggering. Walking around Cabelas and looking at bullet choices for examples makes one seeing cross eyed. Calibre and rifle choice isn't any easier, especially with no one around to let me hold, shoot and get a feel of theirs. Last time I shot anything was a 12g about 15yrs ago.

After lots of reading and talking to who ever is somewhat knowledgeable I settled on a .308, mainly for it's recoil, it's big/powerful enough to take anything in BC and it's only downside would be bullet drop.

As for a rifle? I dunno tbh.
My instructor raved about a remington 783, but he's a remington fan boy so for whatever that's worth. Then again the price is right, leaves me with funds for a decent scope and all the gear and gas to go out.

Thoughts and suggestions on calibre and rifle and anything else a newbie needs to know/own are much appreciated.

Thanks again to all for sharing your knowledge, hope one day i'll have the skills and experience to contribute myself.

Paul