I consider myself a rookie hunter and have learned a lot over the past year of hunting. Species that you plan to hunt will dictate gear. I started off wanting to hunt every critter possible, which not only consumes a ton of time (wife didn't appreciate that too much) but also costs a lot of money in different gear. For example, I went turkey hunting which I purchased a turkey vest and multiple calls & decoys. My mossberg 12 gauge did great with the turkey choke & shot I paired it with and I was successful. Head to toe camo was critical for this hunt as their eye sight is incredible. I also tried for elk & mule deer, both unsuccessful but my 308 covered these hunts quite well. Camo is optional in these hunts but since I had it I wear it on all hunts, but as stated above its not necessary. I simply went with the 308 as a buddy sold me this with scope for $300 so I couldn't say no. I am going to head out for bear this weekend and I don't think I need much more than my 308 and ammunition plus a couple key items: binos, knife, etc. The selection of rifle though really does come down to animals you plan to hunt, terrain you plan to hunt but most of all preference.

Good luck, its a fun journey!