Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
Wow, thanks guys(/girls?)!
Too many to address each individually, but in general:
Updated my location, was already running late for work this morning.

As for species i'd like to hunt, for now deer and bear. Elk, moose, goat are most likely in my nearish future. Still debating birds and small game.
Definitely plan on butchering myself.

Not at all hung up on hunting gear and (marketing) gimmicks, a decent camo top and a back pack is all I'm considering right now.
The more essential things like binos, a rifle case, sling, cleaning kit, decent scope base and rings, etc add up real quick. And that's just shooting not hunting.

As for riffle/scope budget, i don't really have one. I'm by no means a cheapskate and fully understand that generally you get what you pay for and buy once, cry once.
Also i cant imagine anything more annoying and counter productive, especially for a new shooter than a crappy/inconsistent shooting rifle/scope.
BUT, the less I spend, the less I need to work and the more freedom I have.
Definitely not shying away from 2nd hand or just paying a fair price for a fair rifle/scope combo.

As for getting a .22 (lr?), I thought about that, I've seen the advice given other newbies and it allows me to target smaller game.
Kinda surprised only 2 people brought it up and makes me think maybe not such a popular train of thought???

Thanks again guys/girls.
Paul
i think no one else brought up the .22 because it’s just a given that 99% of hunters have a .22