Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Newb

Another Newb

Hi all,

With my PAL on its way I figured it's time to say hi and thanks. Been reading and lurking for a while trying to soak up as much info as I can and the wealth of info on this forum is immense, so thanks to all who freely share their stories and info on this forum.
    Having no one in my social circle who hunts or even shoots this forum is an invaluable resource, and I think i gained a decent grasp of what it takes to put meat in the freezer. Patience and going out, a lot!

What does leave me somewhat confused is gear choice, opinions are a dime in a dozen and the choices are staggering. Walking around Cabelas and looking at bullet choices for examples makes one seeing cross eyed. Calibre and rifle choice isn't any easier, especially with no one around to let me hold, shoot and get a feel of theirs. Last time I shot anything was a 12g about 15yrs ago.

After lots of reading and talking to who ever is somewhat knowledgeable I settled on a .308, mainly for it's recoil, it's big/powerful enough to take anything in BC and it's only downside would be bullet drop.

As for a rifle? I dunno tbh.
    My instructor raved about a remington 783, but he's a remington fan boy so for whatever that's worth. Then again the price is right, leaves me with funds for a decent scope and all the gear and gas to go out.

Thoughts and suggestions on calibre and rifle and anything else a newbie needs to know/own are much appreciated.

Thanks again to all for sharing your knowledge, hope one day i'll have the skills and experience to contribute myself.

Paul

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Another Newb

Welcome! You’ve opened a Pandora’s box lol. Rifle and calibre choice is something that hunters love debating so you’re about to get a landslide of info and opinions. First question: what are you planning on hunting. Second question: what is your budget for rifle and scope?

Hi Paulus,

Like you I'm new to hunting I also have no one in my social circle that goes hunting. Funny you brought up putting meat in freezer, I did some reading about preparation of wild game. How some people bring their game to a butcher, and I also read that sometimes some people are so unlucky they couldn't find a butcher to help them process the game even after going through an entire list, or they have trouble even putting the game they hunted in a place that could freeze it for them.

The more I read about this hobby the more it seems difficult to do.

New is nice but there are plenty of fine used firearms out there. Join a local fish & game & keep an eye out for gun shows. I picked up a Belgian made 30-06 with scope that shoots very well.

.308 is a great choice for an all around rifle, especially for a new hunter/shooter. It has very manageable recoil which will reduce the potential to develop a flinch, perfect for deer sized game and powerful enough for moose/elk with the appropriate bullet within reasonable ranges. Factory ammunition is readily available and reasonably priced. My advice would be to buy a higher quality rifle used rather than a bargain rifle new if budget is limited. Once you have the rifle practice, practice and more practice to develop your skills. Hunting is a great sport so don't over think it and go enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by gashunter View Post
    Hi Paulus,

Like you I'm new to hunting I also have no one in my social circle that goes hunting. Funny you brought up putting meat in freezer, I did some reading about preparation of wild game. How some people bring their game to a butcher, and I also read that sometimes some people are so unlucky they couldn't find a butcher to help them process the game even after going through an entire list, or they have trouble even putting the game they hunted in a place that could freeze it for them.

The more I read about this hobby the more it seems difficult to do.
    Lots of guys butcher the animal themselves. I butchered an elk this past year and have done deer, moose and bear as well. It’s not difficult to do and you save a bit of money doing it.

This site has a buy and sell that has a number of suitable firearms for hunting, check it out.

Oh man the caliber and manufacture choice debate is as old as hunting its self. Many guys here, my self included, wouldn't recommend a 308 but would say go for a 270 instead. Depending on where you are located, some shops will take you out for a test day so you have a chance to get the feel in order to make the right choice.

Dont get too caught up in the gear debate. Go with what suits your budget and what is practical. Remember camo is just a fashion statement and our four fathers were pretty successful without it.

Don’t get overly wrapped up in gear this is the most common mistake made by rookies. When it comes to hunting knowledge of species and habitat is king

like has been posted the caliber and brand of rifle debate is worse than the ford vs Chevy debate. For your first rifle something versatile with commonly available affordable ammunition is my recommendation. As for brands most make a respectable rifle but personally I would avoid savage. Some like them but in my opinion the are cheaply made junk

Calibers 270win and 30-06 are 2 that are worth checking out. They will do it all and ammunition is easy to find with lots of options. If you forget your shells and you find a middle of nowhere gas station that has a few boxes of ammunition odds are they have 270win and 30-06. The 308 would honestly fall into the same category just not a fan personally

Brands personally I would take a look a tikka, ruger, and browning but that’s just me

Wild one has said some good stuff. Don’t worry about loading up on the top shelf gear just yet. You could drop $1000 on the best stuff only to find that you just can’t get into hunting. I started off 6 years ago with a $300 rifle, $100 set of binos and some $20 wool pants. I’ve been slowly upgrading since then but the point is you don’t need all the fancy gear right away.

As for rifle, savages are accurate but sloppy. But might work well for you if your budget doesn’t allow for anything else. That $300 rifle I mentioned earlier was a savage in .30-06 and I dropped a bear and a moose with it. .308 is a fine calibre but I personally would go with .30-06 or .270. I don’t know why but it seems like the .308 has fallen out of popularity the last couple years.