Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BC Provincial Court Judgment on Crawford Stones ram

BC Provincial Court Judgment on Crawford Stones ram

"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country where sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes". - JOC

2. Site Sponsor

Re: BC Provincial Court Judgment on Crawford Stones ram

Interesting read. #43 region 6 Bio feels its important to state he has hunted Stone's Sheep. No mention of a harvest.

I feel for the kid. Many grown men out there will go their whole life without harvesting a Ram. He should be proud of his harvest. Hope he gets back on that mountain and fills another tag!

For all those that ask where to go for Stone's ram - now you have access to one specific drainage name that obviously produces rams....

Wow. Now I know why I dont sheep hunt.

One question on the findings, there was a failure to submit an incisor tooth. Would this have definatively confirmed the Rams age?
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-16-2019 at 01:23 PM.

So what's the next step now? Does this kid get charged for harvesting an illegal ram? Does he get the title of "poacher" even though we're all certain the ram was of age despite a little horn wear and tear.

If the courts found this ram not legal for harvest and the defense couldn't prove otherwise, then a penalty should be paid and someone shouldn't be able to hunt for a few years. Is this not what we would expect?

Look, I'm not saying the kid did anything wrong but perhaps after all the hard work to get to this animal, someone was a little too anxious to fill their tag. Maybe there was enough horn length prior to the shot and a bit wore off in the tumble after the shot. Regardless, if it's that close or questionable to being a legal ram, the decision to pass or shoot should have been "Pass". Easy to say this in hindsight but if this kid was FN (for example) the hunting community would be all over this one. I feel terrible for the kid but regulations are in place for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbart View Post
    For all those that ask where to go for Stone's ram - now you have access to one specific drainage name that obviously produces rams....
    SSSHHHH ...... The power of Social Media ... Sure it will be a busy place this fall .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    One question on the findings, there was a failure to submit an incisor tooth. Would this have definatively confirmed the Rams age?
    Random search article
    ............................However, this ideal was not always manifested in the teeth; even in the bestsample the age estimates were wrong by more than1 year for 23% of teeth, and deviations were scat-tered throughout all age classes. Lowe (1967) founda similar discrepancy in teeth of known-age wild reddeer (Cervus elaphus) from the Isle of Rhum, Scot-land. He concluded that patterns of eruption andwear were better indicators of age than were cemen-tum lines.Cementum lines are largely of academic interestin domestic sheep, whose ages are immediatelyapparent from marks clipped into the ear. However,the fact that such sheep develop lines, at pre-dominantly annual intervals, means that the methodcan be used on free-living animals of unknown age.Although about one quarter of such age estimateswill be wrong by more than 1 year, many of themore obvious anomalies can be resolved from thesequence of eruption and the pattern of wear. Nodoubt there will always be a number of unreliableestimates which must be omitted from the sample,or undetected errors to bias the results. Also, inall animal populations there are unavoidablefactors, such as births beyond the normal seasonalrange, stress through trauma or illness, and develop-mental anomalies, which lead to wrong estimates................
    Old science, maybe modern methods are more prexact
    Last edited by boxhitch; 05-16-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    SSSHHHH ...... The power of Social Media ... Sure it will be a busy place this fall .
    As if this is a new spot, unknown before
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Talk about dragging a guy through the mud.

The province has much bigger fish and game issues than this to be squandering resources.

Wolves, illegal hunting at night, land issues, poachers of the real kind....

^^^^I hear ya.
    Here we have someone who thought (and still believes) they were in the right.
    Show up with horns for inspection etc, and end up in court.
    Meanwhile, we had guys (???)who were firing a rifle in Spences Bridge Township, killed a lamb,
    left it, and took off, and sweet dick all has come from it (wonder why??).