Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 spring bear success

2019 spring bear success

well my buddy got into hunting last year did his core and his pal and had them done for last week of October. although i am not a pro by any means i took this young man under my wing and try to teach him everything i know. we went out a bunch of times and seen lots of bucks but no 4 points (4 point season).so we planned for 6 days off of work this spring and went up to my families property in the caribou haven't bear hunted there much but figured give it a try we ended up staying 5 days and seen 4 bears tons of bear scat ( prob over a 100 piles).
    we finally seen a bear big enough to go after first spotted him at 497 yards in a nice lushes green patch of grass.He had no idea we were there we parked the quads off the side of the fsr and checked the wind it was right in our face perfect.we slowly made our way down the left side of the road hugging tight to the side were he could not see us every 50 yards we would walk out to check where he moved to.we kept making our way up and making sure it was a nice boar that we would want to take we got to a range were he felt comfortable.we snuck across the road to get set up for a clear view. i pulled out my range finder and ranged him 127 got the shooting sticks ready he got into position and i tried to walk him through the nerves as he was now staring at his first big game animal through his scope.the moment was here i told him to breath and get settled the bear did not know we were there and we had all the time in the world.he took about 30 seconds and said he was ready i ranged again 136 told him to just hold dead on and take a deep breath and slowly squeeze and boom the shot rings out.

i see the bear react and run off into the thick brush so we look around and wait see nothing.we take note of where the bear was when he shot it and where he shot from making a mark in the gravel road and tell him to gather our things and walk back to the quads.we get back there i can see he is shaking i ask him how the shoot felt he said good felt really good.so we give him 30 mins and go up to investigate. walk to where he shot the bear from and we see not blood instantly my stomach drops we see nothing.but knowing how my deer was 2 years ago i convinced myself to stay positive.the timber that he ran into was really thick and you couldn't see more than 5 feet into it. so i break through the first layer of brush and can now see about 20 yards and not 10 yards away from me i see black fur on its back feet straight up.i have never to so happy in my life way more happy than i can ever recall being from getting something myself.so now the real worked had to start and as it was his first the process would take a bit longer showing him how to field dress, skin, etc.

by the time we got it all field dressed, skinned and back to the property it was dark and the butcher was closed luckily it was only 6 degrees out so the meat would be fine till 7am when the butcher said to bring it by.was such an awesome hunt and couldn't be happier even though i never harvested anything i had one of the best times during this hunt.now for my bear in the weeks to come thanks for reading.
    Last edited by bchunter181; 05-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2019 spring bear success

More! We want to know how it ends

Quote Originally Posted by 604Stalker View Post
    More! We want to know how it ends

just finished it!

Congrats to you and your friend

Congrats to both of you! Great looking Yoggie. Thanks for posting up the story and pics.

Very nice looking bear, congrats to you and the young guy, good mentoring on your part..

Nice bear, it'll be a good eater, congrats young fella! K

That's fantastic. Sounds like a great hunt for sure. Congrats!

Nice looking bear!!. Congrats to the young hunter and thumbs up to you for taking him out and showing him how to hunt. Job well done on all accounts.
    Live to Hunt...

That's a nice looking bear, well done. I'm hoping to get out this weekend for one of my own. I've seen a lot of bear activity in the bush that I've been working in.