On the drive from Vancouver to cabin (Kamloops area) I saw 2 blackies and a moose calf.

After work yesterday I drove around my hood on the forest roads. I've spent a bit of time out last year looking for deer and grouse so I knew a few areas to start - but it was really about exploring more.

First area was from 4500-5500 ft elevation. Still not much green. I did see one bear pie but no tracks. I went to where I saw a LOT of sign last fall.

I did see 5 mulies. 3 were does that looked like they were about to pop! I think the other 2 may have been last years fawns. They were pretty much full size but not as robust.

Today I got out for a couple hours before work. I hit an area closer to 4000 ft (maybe some a bit under). A LOT more green here. But, the area has a lot more regular traffic so I didn't expect too much - even though I saw a bear there in the fall. Then I did a HUGE loop back to my cabin. It was all back up in the higher elevation. Lots of good cut blocks but not much green yet. Nada on the bears.

I did find out that there are some pretty knarly muddy tracks out there. My truck (Tacoma) still has stock tires and they're SHIT in the mud. Things got a little dicey a couple of times. I need new tires - and a come-along...

After work - I went back out to my 'back yard'. One moose, 3 whitetails - and no bears. At least until the VERY end of the day driving back - HUGE blackie on the hillside - right where I expected to see one. Except he was on private land. I asked the landowners but they said 'no'. They run cattle and don't let people hunt. The lady was really nice and I warned her that I might stop by and ask again sometime soon.

I put over 80 Miles on the truck running FSR roads in 2 days before/after work. I'm not all that excited about getting a bear so it was mostly road hunting with stopping to walk a few of the better looking cut blocks. I'm not excited enough about a bear to pack it out a couple of miles so I stuck pretty close to the roads. For moose or deer I find myself wandering a lot farther. But it was nice to get to know the area better. I've got a line on a moose I keep seeing in the same spot.

It hurt to not be able to go after that blackie. It was a easy stalk and would have been SOOOO easy to get the truck close to where he was standing after the fact... oh well.