Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 days of looking for bears

2 days of looking for bears

On the drive from Vancouver to cabin (Kamloops area) I saw 2 blackies and a moose calf.

After work yesterday I drove around my hood on the forest roads. I've spent a bit of time out last year looking for deer and grouse so I knew a few areas to start - but it was really about exploring more.

First area was from 4500-5500 ft elevation. Still not much green. I did see one bear pie but no tracks. I went to where I saw a LOT of sign last fall.

I did see 5 mulies. 3 were does that looked like they were about to pop! I think the other 2 may have been last years fawns. They were pretty much full size but not as robust.

Today I got out for a couple hours before work. I hit an area closer to 4000 ft (maybe some a bit under). A LOT more green here. But, the area has a lot more regular traffic so I didn't expect too much - even though I saw a bear there in the fall. Then I did a HUGE loop back to my cabin. It was all back up in the higher elevation. Lots of good cut blocks but not much green yet. Nada on the bears.

I did find out that there are some pretty knarly muddy tracks out there. My truck (Tacoma) still has stock tires and they're SHIT in the mud. Things got a little dicey a couple of times. I need new tires - and a come-along...

After work - I went back out to my 'back yard'. One moose, 3 whitetails - and no bears. At least until the VERY end of the day driving back - HUGE blackie on the hillside - right where I expected to see one. Except he was on private land. I asked the landowners but they said 'no'. They run cattle and don't let people hunt. The lady was really nice and I warned her that I might stop by and ask again sometime soon.

I put over 80 Miles on the truck running FSR roads in 2 days before/after work. I'm not all that excited about getting a bear so it was mostly road hunting with stopping to walk a few of the better looking cut blocks. I'm not excited enough about a bear to pack it out a couple of miles so I stuck pretty close to the roads. For moose or deer I find myself wandering a lot farther. But it was nice to get to know the area better. I've got a line on a moose I keep seeing in the same spot.

It hurt to not be able to go after that blackie. It was a easy stalk and would have been SOOOO easy to get the truck close to where he was standing after the fact... oh well.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2 days of looking for bears

Good on yah getting out and about. I'll be headed out the next two weekends. Can't wait to get some fresh air and lace up the boots!

When are you at your cabin next ? If it's before I head on my vacation we could meet up and go find you a bear.. just tagged myself a beauty brown boar not far from Kamloops, and buddies got two last weekend same area. They are definitely out and about ! Getting a bit close to rut now as well which I feel will cause more movement and less feeding out in open patches of grass. This travel corridors and where the sows want to be with their young !

Cant wait for this weekend in the Squamish Valley. Hoping to get my first Yogi
    Anyone out that way this weekend see an grey Tacoma with a white canopy or a orange Bronco come say hi!

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    When are you at your cabin next ? If it's before I head on my vacation we could meet up and go find you a bear.. just tagged myself a beauty brown boar not far from Kamloops, and buddies got two last weekend same area. They are definitely out and about ! Getting a bit close to rut now as well which I feel will cause more movement and less feeding out in open patches of grass. This travel corridors and where the sows want to be with their young !
    im in the thick of baseball with my son so it’s going to be tougher to get out for the next few weeks.

Ifi get get a chance I’ll drop u a line for sure.

I might be be done till fall. We’ll see....

Have you tried checking out feeding pockets that are just out of sight of the roads? I look for a few of those with nipped grass or poops, walk in and out of them, rinse and repeat. I haven't seen too many bears around the roads in Region 2 or 3. When I do, it's usually a rear end bolting full tilt, but same areas just out of sight of the roads in really short walks I can see a few each day. Hoping you get a chance to get back out there soon and get one!!

Been out 4 evenings. Seen over 13 bears that I can recall. Buddy shot one of them. Saw 6 in 3 hours last night. All in region 3/Kamloops area.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Have you tried checking out feeding pockets that are just out of sight of the roads? I look for a few of those with nipped grass or poops, walk in and out of them, rinse and repeat. I haven't seen too many bears around the roads in Region 2 or 3. When I do, it's usually a rear end bolting full tilt, but same areas just out of sight of the roads in really short walks I can see a few each day. Hoping you get a chance to get back out there soon and get one!!
    Yep. Promising spots I go for a hike. Just not more than 1/2 mile or so.

Quote Originally Posted by russm86 View Post
    Been out 4 evenings. Seen over 13 bears that I can recall. Buddy shot one of them. Saw 6 in 3 hours last night. All in region 3/Kamloops area.
    What elevation? I think at lower (mid??) elevation they're easier to find right now because they're concentrated in the greener areas. Up around 5,000+ it wasn't green enough anywhere to concentrate them.

But, that's just my speculation.

I saw bunch of deer and a moose. And, some really cool bright orange bird.

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post
    Exactly the same strategy here!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlirot View Post

What elevation? I think at lower (mid??) elevation they're easier to find right now because they're concentrated in the greener areas. Up around 5,000+ it wasn't green enough anywhere to concentrate them.

But, that's just my speculation.

I saw bunch of deer and a moose. And, some really cool bright orange bird.
    Yea, don't know exact elevations, but I'd guess 1000ft to 2000ft above Kamloops? Was definitely green and dandelions just opened up within the last few days.