Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

Long story short, I want to donate my 6$ to an elk draw that I hold no hopes of getting aha, but what I want to know before I make my final decision is what everyone thinks the holy Grail draw is, and why!?

I don't know enough about the coast and island to know what I'm looking for, some of the locations seem like they would be fly in only..?

What about ease of access, what's the best draw to apply for ?

I also hear people talk about the holy Grail Kamloops lake sheep hunt, but never hear much agreement on the LEH elk as to what the prized draw is.

Cheers.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: THE holy Grail LEH elk draw?

1-10 g or 1-11 a around these parts for elk. In saying that I put in somewhere with better odds.

From what I can tell, people are interested in
    (worst odds, like Kamloops) the closest hunt where its easiest to find the Animals. Well those ones seem to have the worst odds. That being said there are others that would prefer a hunt that is in a remote area where the animals will provide a challenge. So whats the holy Grail of elk hunting...depends on what you value.

I figured there would be alot of different opinions, but at least if I hear them I can take that info and put it towards applying for the hunt style I'm looking for at this point I know nothing beyond the zone 8 elk which I'm sure is like comparing apples to oranges.

I have no problem getting on my feet out into the bush, but at the same time I'd take a lower odds draw where I could drive to/from than one with higher odds that took me coordinating flights and such, if I were to do a fly in hunt id just go to the Yukon or Alaska for moose / grizz!

I got the 1-04 A draw last year. It's basically a private land archery hunt "easy access". LOTS of elk and LOTS of good bulls. Good size herds, lots of rutting activity, and comfortable weather. Odds are what they are, but definitely not the highest out there.

I was on elk every day, just took time to get the right shot. Not saying it was easy, still lots of work and long days but was the best and most exciting elk hunt I've ever done.

I have a list of landowners that you can contact if you chose to put in for this hunt and are successful.

Have a look at my Van Isle Elk hunt thread from last year. Pretty much covered from mid summer scouting to harvest on end Oct.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-23-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Stratospheric odds e.g. 500/1 = easy access, lots of animals and high probability of success.

Low odds e.g. 2/1 = extremely difficult area to access, few animals, and low probability of success.

I personally had an exceptional elk draw last year, two scouting trips, one was 2 weeks before the draw, 80+ animals, 5 wall hanger monster bulls. Bad weather, forest activity .. 2 weeks in the bush, one spike bull seen.

GAAAHH!

Now my odds are reduced so I picked the best odds one I could find. It's super good odds but for a reason. Archery only near town and a hundred no shooting zones.

I dont know man. I live on the Island and I put in for around Campbell River. Odds are great but one can wish! I've lots of elk heards around 1-10 while hunting. If you do put in for the draw good luck!

Everywhere that has a draw, has elk. Everywhere that has elk, has a big one. Sometimes the big ones stand in the middle of the mainline and yell at you, some of them never leave the dark timber.

I think 1-09 or 1-10 seem to hold the highest populations but I believe any Zoe north of Campbell River should be good. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpish View Post
    Stratospheric odds e.g. 500/1 = easy access, lots of animals and high probability of success.

Low odds e.g. 2/1 = extremely difficult area to access, few animals, and low probability of success.

I personally had an exceptional elk draw last year, two scouting trips, one was 2 weeks before the draw, 80+ animals, 5 wall hanger monster bulls. Bad weather, forest activity .. 2 weeks in the bush, one spike bull seen.

GAAAHH!

Now my odds are reduced so I picked the best odds one I could find. It's super good odds but for a reason. Archery only near town and a hundred no shooting zones.
    Not entirely true. Kamloops sheep is terrible odds because of easy access, predictability of those sheep and because everyone wants a quick ram.

Pitt river and stave elk are not easy access but are still terrible odds.

Basically anywhere close to town or a major road will be bad odds because everyone wants a "local" hunt, despite the fact that access to those spots is not that easy.