Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a little advice/info on solo moose hunting in 7-28, 7-40 and 7-41

Looking for a little advice/info on solo moose hunting in 7-28, 7-40 and 7-41

Hey, I'm not asking for honey holes but....

OK just kidding. I'm trying to pick my LEH draws this year and am looking at my first choice of probably the bull draw for 7-28 Sep. 10 to Nov. 5th and putting my second choice as either 7-40 or 7-41 Oct. 10- Nov. 5.

Do you think a solo moose hunt in these areas is a bad idea? So far my hunting experience doesn't involve killing anything other than grouse. Moose hunting is something I haven't really had any experience doing.

What is the access like in these areas? Any difference between 7-40 and 7-41?

I will be camping pretty basic, sleeping under the truck canopy and can hike or bring an ATV.

Are there any areas in those units to avoid?

Any moose hunting resources out there similar to Elk101.com? Last season I came pretty close to elk after studying that site a fair amount.

I'd just like to be a little prepared in case I'm fortunate enough to get a tag. I do not want to waste it and realize after that getting into some of these areas is too tough.

Cheers!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for a little advice/info on solo moose hunting in 7-28, 7-40 and 7-41

7-40 and 7-41 is remote country. Not the type of hunt I'd do solo and I've done a ton of backcountry hunting and have hunted that country. I wouldn't do that trip solo, even knowing what I know and having done a ton of trips and spending a ton of time up there.

For someone who hasn't shot anything more than a grouse, this is simply not a hunt you should attempt solo.

It's a long ways in, requires planning for fuel, tires, breakdowns, etc. Dealing with your first moose kill that far back without help becomes more challenging. Then theres Fort Ware and Tse Khey to deal with at times.

It's a pretty simple "no" from me if looking for opinions
    Last edited by Rackmastr; 05-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Re: Looking for a little advice/info on solo moose hunting in 7-28, 7-40 and 7-41

I agree with Rackmastr. 7-28 is a big area as well. Lots of moose LEH there but it’s a big MU. Access through PG, Mackenzie and Fort St James so gets lots of hunters.
    Depending on where you are coming from I’d recommend 7-29 or 7-30, which are near Williston but more accessible for a first moose hunt.
    I also recommend if you do get a moose draw you find a friend to join you. Moose solo is a challenge for experienced hunters. I speak from experience on that. Big animal to manage on your own.

If you are asking it means you should not do it: that is as deep off of pavement as you can get, a big moose can be a dificult task for 3 fit guys

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    7-40 and 7-41 is remote country. Not the type of hunt I'd do solo and I've done a ton of backcountry hunting and have hunted that country. I wouldn't do that trip solo, even knowing what I know and having done a ton of trips and spending a ton of time up there.

For someone who hasn't shot anything more than a grouse, this is simply not a hunt you should attempt solo.

It's a long ways in, requires planning for fuel, tires, breakdowns, etc. Dealing with your first moose kill that far back without help becomes more challenging. Then theres Fort Ware and Tse Khey to deal with at times.

It's a pretty simple "no" from me if looking for opinions
    Thanks, I appreciate the honesty. Although I'm not concerned with the fuel, tires and breakdown issues. Or dealing with my first big game kill, the experience of someone who's been there a bit saying they wouldn't go solo is good info though.

Quote Originally Posted by Salix View Post
    I agree with Rackmastr. 7-28 is a big area as well. Lots of moose LEH there but it’s a big MU. Access through PG, Mackenzie and Fort St James so gets lots of hunters.
    Depending on where you are coming from I’d recommend 7-29 or 7-30, which are near Williston but more accessible for a first moose hunt.
    I also recommend if you do get a moose draw you find a friend to join you. Moose solo is a challenge for experienced hunters. I speak from experience on that. Big animal to manage on your own.
    Maybe as a solo hunter it isn't as bad there are others around? Looks like the odds are slightly worse for 7-29 and 7-30. I just want a decent spot north of PG. Close to Williston lake doesn't matter, what got me looking there was the odds.

As far as finding a friend, I'm not interested. I looked pretty hard for a hunting partner for the first few years but after my last experience with someone else, I'm not interested. I will do the heavy lifting on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    If you are asking it means you should not do it: that is as deep off of pavement as you can get, a big moose can be a dificult task for 3 fit guys
    I don't think because I asked that means no. I'm typically pretty prepared and pretty comfortable in the outdoors. If I just wanted to go camping in the same area I probably wouldn't be asking. The big moose and 3 dudes comment is helpful though.

Cheers!

Its doable although you had better be in tip top shape, as they seldom die on the road. Daunting task over hills, over grown clear cuts. Find some one to go with you even if they don't hunt.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

The only area I’m familiar with that you mention is the 7-41. In all honesty, that’s the last place I’d go to look for a moose, by road, especially solo. We never had bad luck with the people up there, but there’s lots of stories of people who have. I think the local bands keep the moose pretty licked up for the most part, we seen lots of native hunters, but not a single moose, or grouse for that matter.

Im all for solo hunting and do a lot of it, no matter the animal. But I think there are better safer spots then 7-41.

if you have only had luck with a grouse so far, then I don't think I would be attemting a moose solo. I would start with a deer. you mentioned not wasting your time but I seee it as wasting of the animal/ resource if you are foretunate to get the kill and don't harvest everything from it.

If you are going way the hell up there for a draw why not head to a GOS area? I would be willing to share a hike in spot that I know of. It gets some pressure but if you’re willing to go the extra couple miles you will have opportunity. I will warn you that killing a moose there as a solo hunter will be the hardest thing you’ve ever done.

Not experienced in the MU’s you’re asking about so no help there

As for a solo moose hunt you have to really ask yourself how bad do you want it?

Sounds like you are on the green side so something to keep in mind is this can be both a physical and mentally demanding hunt. If a moose drops any distance from the road it’s not coming out in one piece so you will need to break down a large animal that is not easily manipulated by yourself. Now if the moose drops in a nasty spot like a swamp or trench it’s awesome lol. It can take time and physically beat 2 guys packing out a moose so expect to hate yourself if you put it down in a nasty spot

Want to know what you are in for load up your pack with say 60-80lbs which is not much when packing out a moose. Then go find some thick bush, clear cut, and willow swamp and go for a hike. Likely a moose will drop in a similar kind of area. It will suck but you will have an idea what you are getting into

I don’t know what experience you have stay in the bush solo. Some can’t do it between boredom and nerves get to them. Some are too nervous about bears when it comes to multiple trip meat pack outs solo. You know your mindset not me. If you have never camped out solo for multiple days I recommend you do it locally before going on a hunt like this

I have personally done lots of things I have been told I would be crazy to do so solo even lacking experience so I won’t judge if you should or should not do this hunt. I will say be prepared for what you are getting into and be honest with your personal limits

Or you can just say F it giver hell and see how it turns out and likely end up in a nasty spot like I have in the past lol

Good luck