Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

Re: New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

Besides all the good advise you have received already, I would suggest to contact a farmer or butcher and ask them if they could let you see/help them preparing a lamb/cow. Maybe give them half of what you where going to pay for the plane ticket to go to the east coast. good luck!

The right tool for field dressing is a knife

I agree, just about anything you want to know about hunting can be "googled" or "youtubed" other than that decide what you want to start with and research some areas....I'd stay away from LEH for a season or two till your confident on you want to put in for....but its black bear season right now, so watch some videos on dressing and skinning bear, find a butcher who will make you some pepperoni, buy a tag and get out there.....you don't need a guide....if you need to you can pm me and I'll tell you where you will find some bears

edit: not sure what area you want to try, but I can certainly point you in the right direction on the Island anyways....sounds like you're willing to travel, so the Island isnt far and we've got BIG bears ! If not I know most guys aren't super secretive about bear spots, lots of them around. My first deer season I just pm'd a guy on here that I saw him and his sons were dropping blacktails left and right. He was happy to point me in a few directions and I ended up tagging out....nothing big that first season of course, but nothing like hands on to start my education..lol ! Got an elk draw the next year and man do I love looking at that big guy on my wall every day since !

Last edited by Islander30; 05-12-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Hey everyone, thank you for all the suggestion one thing I'm uncertain about is the law when it comes to hunting. Yes the Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis tell people all the areas you can hunt in but I'm worried about screwing up. Like I don't know if I'm confident enough to do it. I don't want a conservation officer to bust my ass because of a mistake. I'm worry I could go into private land without knowing, I'm worry I could kill an animal that is an illegal kill, I'm worry I could be hunting in an area that is no shooting allowed, I'm also not confident in my driving skill in rough terrain. I never drive outside of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    I took a young guy out hunting numerous times but we never connected while hunting together. Then he applied for an LEH doe draw and got it and went on his own. Shot the doe and to his good fortune a hunter on a quad showed up and helped him gut it and brought it to camp for him.

But he was totally prepared to take it on himself. Look at a lot of videos on Youtube. Save your money. Make friends here and elsewhere.

If you really really feel like you need lessons consider EatWild.

You don't have to go to New Brunswick!

They are local. I know several new hunters who have gone that route and been happy.

http://www.eatwild.ca/

Hi MichelD, and also someone named Chris who pmed me

I already signed up for the Hunter Field Skills Workshop May 2019, This will be my first time doing any of their workshop/courses.
    I will meet Dylan and go to the Singing Lands Ranch in about a week. The only thing I'm waiting for now is car pool information from Dylan, I'm a poor driver.
    yea if I know about eatwild earlier I would had definitely done CORE with them just from looking at their site their CORE course is longer and more informative.
    I hope I could learn as much as I can from them during the long weekend. Even so with this I don't feel confident from this course alone.

Is a couple of days really enough?(on the first day we would arrive in the evening apparently) I understand that part of the course they would have someone to teach us how to spot and stalk deers like without actually hunting them, But is it different for bears? because bears are what I actually want to hunt

You need a mentor, are you hunting with a rifle? shooting alot is really going to boost your confidence, I highly suggest you shoot alot before hunting animals, whether it bow or rifle, confidence with your weapon is really important, good luck with your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    You need a mentor, are you hunting with a rifle? shooting alot is really going to boost your confidence, I highly suggest you shoot alot before hunting animals, whether it bow or rifle, confidence with your weapon is really important, good luck with your quest.
    I'm just about to hit the Archery place in an hour or so. I'm going to practice the bow/bows a lot.

That would be really good to do, shoot alot, good for you, keep us posted as to your progress and dont hesitate to ask a legitimate question, which is any question you may have to build your confidence through knowledge.

Since archery is the path you seem to be on get out to the 3D shoots and get to know the bow hunters in your area

Just watch out for the ones with banjos that say you have a pretty mouth lol

Solution.......
    Mentor
    Someone that knows their sh*t

You will find one

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Like others have said you need a mentor.

I started from scratch like you about 12 years ago didnt know a thing about it before hand. I found that the core course just ensured you could ID animals and understand how to read the regulations otherwise you learn everything else on your own which i didnt find that hard.
    My first big game animal was a black bear and at the time it felt like it was going to be bit overwhelming but honestly it was easy. Youtube is a great source and this site is too. Once the animal is down it just becomes a job and just start working at it. Comon sense goes a long way.. As far as your driving ability, your on your own there.
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................