Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

Re: New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

More than likely you will shoot a grouse or rabbit first and that will boost your confidence
    Originally Posted by lip_ripper00
    Don't argue with an idiot, you will be dragged down to his level and beaten by experiance
    Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06
    Problem is easy to fix........Sell Chevy buy Dodge problem fixed..................

For gutting make sure you have a good sharp knife. The havalon series of knives would be good for a beginner as you can just swap blades out when they get dull. First bear I shot I only had a super dull folding knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    For gutting make sure you have a good sharp knife. The havalon series of knives would be good for a beginner as you can just swap blades out when they get dull. First bear I shot I only had a super dull folding knife.
    This is good advice

Dull knife makes a job tougher and increases the odds of cutting yourself because you have less control do to applying extra force to make

I am old school and use a hand sharpened fixed blade but have seen the Havalon in action and they are handy

You'll meet people there.

Maybe others who though as inexperienced as you, might be willing to take you along.

A lot of your questions will be answered there just by talking to people.

Quote Originally Posted by gashunter View Post
    Hey everyone, thank you for all the suggestion one thing I'm uncertain about is the law when it comes to hunting. Yes the Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis tell people all the areas you can hunt in but I'm worried about screwing up. Like I don't know if I'm confident enough to do it. I don't want a conservation officer to bust my ass because of a mistake. I'm worry I could go into private land without knowing, I'm worry I could kill an animal that is an illegal kill, I'm worry I could be hunting in an area that is no shooting allowed, I'm also not confident in my driving skill in rough terrain. I never drive outside of the city.

Hi MichelD, and also someone named Chris who pmed me

I already signed up for the Hunter Field Skills Workshop May 2019, This will be my first time doing any of their workshop/courses.
    I will meet Dylan and go to the Singing Lands Ranch in about a week. The only thing I'm waiting for now is car pool information from Dylan, I'm a poor driver.
    yea if I know about eatwild earlier I would had definitely done CORE with them just from looking at their site their CORE course is longer and more informative.
    I hope I could learn as much as I can from them during the long weekend. Even so with this I don't feel confident from this course alone.

Is a couple of days really enough?(on the first day we would arrive in the evening apparently) I understand that part of the course they would have someone to teach us how to spot and stalk deers like without actually hunting them, But is it different for bears? because bears are what I actually want to hunt

Look at a lot of videos and written lessons like the following one.

BUT: Remember there is one thing wrong in this one from Washington because in BC you must not remove all the genitalia. You have to leave evidence of what sex the animal is, so I just leave the whole testicle penis assembly or udder if it is a doe attached to the carcass, even once it is skinned. You have to leave the tail attached too.

https://www.hunter-ed.com/washington...001_700046905/

There are a lot of videos out there, some I agree with, others not. Some split the pelvis and breast in the field. I usually have to drag an animal a distance and that just opens up more exposed meat to gather dirt you will have to discard so I don't do that. I cut a deep ring around the anus, then slit it open from right beside the genitals where the gut cavity starts up to the brisket and extract the Guts through that opening. The toughest thing is to be VERY VERY careful to NOT split the stomach with your knife as you slit the skin open. Look at some of the videos for how to make a little slit to get a couple fingers under the hide so you can guide the knife along without puncturing the stomach.

Once it is open, reaching in and cutting around the diaphragm is a bit tough to learn at first, as is reaching all the way up and cutting the windpipe and esophagus. Once that is done though, it will mostly just come out with a strong tug though there may be some cuts necessary along the backbone.

If you have cut deeply enough around the anus then the lower intestine should pull out fairly easily too, but it is slippery.

I hunt alone so I often skin out and section the animal on the ground, usually after I have dragged it close to the truck. I use clean ground, (preferably grass or heather) tarps and the skin of the animal itself as it is peeled off to keep the carcass clean. I take it apart in components and put them in home made cotton bags. The two front shoulders and legs go in one bag, the neck/chest and portion of back bone cut off where the ribs start in another bag and the lower back and hindquarters in another.

That's just me though. Others will tell you their methods.

When with companions, we usually hang the deer up by the back end and skin it suspended by the back legs, and use a big cotton bag around the whole carcass to keep bugs off.

Check your email.
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Hello I have done my CORE and I'm also practicing in the use of a bow, and rifle. The problem with CORE is that most of it was written test and learning from what the instructor told me.I feel that the very short one day class "CORE" didn't prepare me for most of the practical stuff to do with hunting. Like the instructor didn't actually bring us to hunt a bear or even show us hands on field dressing an animal. It was mostly just the instructor pointing at a book for less than 15 minutes(somehow we're suppose to know how to field dress an animal). The instructor does not even tell us what is the proper tool for field dressing the animal. Also nothing about what to do with the animal after taking the harvested parts was mentioned or maybe I forgot.

I'm not going to point out which was the CORE instructor, I'm not here to make anyone's life miserable.
    I notice that looking at here on the forum of the sticky threads there are no recent workshop or hunting camp for new hunters available.

Right now what I'm thinking of doing is signing up for something like this, and in hope the guide will teach me everything I could learn about hunting

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/13...earchTerm=Bear

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/14...earchTerm=Bear

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/8419?currency=CAD

I'm going to take a flight over to East Coast just to do this because hiring a guide/outfitter here in the West Coast is very expensive.
    I'm from Vancouver
    Hey gashunter,
    I completed my CORE one year ago almost to the day. I met a few great guys on this site that were willing to take me out hunting for my first trips. We (shout out to Dylan!) spent about 7 days elk hunting unsuccessfully, but it was a great experience and i learned a ton! I then spent a week hunting mulies with a family friend and some of his hunting buddies; again, we were unsuccessful but also learned a lot on that trip. I then took a few of my friends out up Harrison hunting blacktails on some weekend trips; also unsuccessful but we did get a grouse, so learned how to clean a ruffed grouse and enjoyed some meat. I then did a local trip for blacktail with another friend of a friend and I successfully harvested my first deer. I met another awesome guy (shout out to Rob) on this site willing to take me out duck hunting for my first 2 waterfowl sessions; I was able to bring a few ducks home for dinner. I just went turkey hunting by myself and was successful at harvesting a nice big gobbler. Podcasts such as meat eater, rookie hunter and Jay Scott outdoors were good resources. This site and youtube were also very helpful. You will always be learning as a hunter and some of the best fun is getting out and learning how to hunt, whether you are successful at harvesting an animal or not. I personally would start by going to the monthly HBC group meeting at Jimy Mac's pub on the first Wednesday of every month. You might meet some people there willing to go out with. Lots of great people on this site that are always willing to help. I am going for my first bear now, so fingers crossed! Best of luck! Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    I personally would start by going to the monthly HBC group meeting at Jimy Mac's pub on the first Wednesday of every month. You might meet some people there willing to go out with. Lots of great people on this site that are always willing to help. I am going for my first bear now, so fingers crossed! Best of luck! Chris
    Hi Bubbacanuck,

If you don't mind me asking what is the HBC group meeting?

Hi Bubbacanuck,

If you don't mind me asking what is the HBC group meeting?
    To be completely honest, I believe its just a get together of local huntingBC members (this website) where locals meet monthly that are avid hunters/anglers (I went last month but didn't know which group it was in the pub lol). I will be there on June 3rd to see what's all about

I just got back yesterday from the eatwild hunter workshop, it was very tough but I'm now confident in my stalk and spot skill!

me practicing spot and stalk

https://streamable.com/pvtac

https://streamable.com/um2hq

https://streamable.com/fkghn
    Last edited by gashunter; 05-21-2019 at 05:11 PM.