Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

Hello I have done my CORE and I'm also practicing in the use of a bow, and rifle. The problem with CORE is that most of it was written test and learning from what the instructor told me.I feel that the very short one day class "CORE" didn't prepare me for most of the practical stuff to do with hunting. Like the instructor didn't actually bring us to hunt a bear or even show us hands on field dressing an animal. It was mostly just the instructor pointing at a book for less than 15 minutes(somehow we're suppose to know how to field dress an animal). The instructor does not even tell us what is the proper tool for field dressing the animal. Also nothing about what to do with the animal after taking the harvested parts was mentioned or maybe I forgot.

I'm not going to point out which was the CORE instructor, I'm not here to make anyone's life miserable.
    I notice that looking at here on the forum of the sticky threads there are no recent workshop or hunting camp for new hunters available.

Right now what I'm thinking of doing is signing up for something like this, and in hope the guide will teach me everything I could learn about hunting

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/13...earchTerm=Bear

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/14...earchTerm=Bear

https://www.bookyourhunt.com/Tour/8419?currency=CAD

I'm going to take a flight over to East Coast just to do this because hiring a guide/outfitter here in the West Coast is very expensive.
    I'm from Vancouver

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New hunter is a guide/outfitter the best option?

Sounds like you have it figured out, good luck!

YouTube was a good resource for me when I first started.

Taking a guided trip although helpful, will be extremely expensive, Transporter, a little less. You tube has valuable info, hours upon hours of field dressing, boning, quartering. My advice is find someone on here to mentor you, save your cash for your first hunt.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check
    Made payable for an amount of 'up to
    and including my life'. That is Honor, and there are way too many people
    in This country who no longer understand it.'
    You only walk this Earth once,
    make sure your tracks are deep.

Go join your local rod&gun club and meet hunters. Get involved in the hunting community and you will meet experienced hunters and build friendships that may result in invited on hunts. Even stick around here and to know people there is even a pub night done in the lower mainland

As for the CORE it is designed to make you legally capable of hunting not teach you how to hunt. Hunting is not something you learn by taking a course over a few days there is way too much involved

Personally I believe hiring a guide won’t do much for you expecially a guided hunt outside side of B.C. where conditions are not comparable

^Wild One is dead on

Hunting takes years to get good at. I've seen more then a couple animals hit the ground, and I am still no where near "knowing it all".

Join local clubs, join organizations that align with your views (WSS, BHA, SCI, BCWF), be active on the forums (even if you don't harvest anything, post your trials and errors), use YouTube/Instagram/Podcasts.... If you love it... It'll work out.

Personally, I'd save money and pass on the guide. Put that money towards gear, gas, and days off in the bush!

Don't be embarrassed to start small either. Go for grouse/rabbits first. Get comfortable skinning/processing them before you shoot a big buck 10kms from the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    Don't be embarrassed to start small either. Go for grouse/rabbits first. Get comfortable skinning/processing them before you shoot a big buck 10kms from the truck
    What fun would that be real men jump in head first balls out and learn through the trial by fire method

But I guess some are soft and sensitive so they have to take it slow

I took a young guy out hunting numerous times but we never connected while hunting together. Then he applied for an LEH doe draw and got it and went on his own. Shot the doe and to his good fortune a hunter on a quad showed up and helped him gut it and brought it to camp for him.

But he was totally prepared to take it on himself. Look at a lot of videos on Youtube. Save your money. Make friends here and elsewhere.

If you really really feel like you need lessons consider EatWild.

You don't have to go to New Brunswick!

They are local. I know several new hunters who have gone that route and been happy.

http://www.eatwild.ca/
    Last edited by MichelD; 05-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.

guest Guest

Dont know who you took your core through but NO core course is designed as a 1 day course........not good.
    There are policies set for a reason. This sounds like a good reason for16 hr min plus exams.

Any way good luck to you.