Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many pairs of socks?

Re: How many pairs of socks?

Hmmmm 3 pair of quality socks and a container of gold bond, use any opportunity to wash your feet, soak in cold stream..DRY very well removing all moisture, air boots well.
    Good to go..
    Steven

When I first started hunting I was with a group of more experience outdoorsmen. I don't know what they did for socks but I do know that on the last night of our 7 day hunt, there was a ceremonial burning of underwear and socks. I made the assumption that they brought 2 of each item. One to wear for the week and then one clean set to wear for the trip home.

One pair on my feet and one pair in the pack, same for underwear. I swap daily cleaning and drying. I may not clean them everyday but i will change them daily and at least let them dry out.

If it’s cold out I like to bring a warm pair to put on as a second layer inside my tent. It’s hard sleeping with cold feet
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
    One pair on my feet and one pair in the pack, same for underwear. I swap daily cleaning and drying. I may not clean them everyday but i will change them daily and at least let them dry out.
    X2 ... I dont even take my boots off unless I'm done for the day. Once I lace them up right i dont want to ruin that and possibly have to readjust socks and what not later.

I used to take a lot more of each but realized wearing the same stuff for a while didnt really bother me much but added extra weight and bulk for additional pairs

If you have some nasty athletes foot and gross sweaty smelly feet then It might be different but my feet dont swest too much and dont get smelly easily

I have been using first lite merino wool underwear and the merino compression socks. underwear x2 and socks x2. No issues but I do air them out and dry whenever I can. If I stop for a break and its windy and/or sunny I will remove boots and socks to air feet and socks while glassing and/or eating. I have also washed socks and underwear in creek and hung to dry.

I have busted through all my smart wool so have been buying darn tough the last few seasons. Pricey - but hard to beat a lifetime warranty on socks...

1 pair of cotton tube socks for wach day. 1 pair of wool over socks for every 4 days
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

3 pairs total. One pair of Merino icebreaker socks for during the day, one pair of thick wool socks for sleeping, and one waterproof pair.

Randy Sun waterproof socks. Worth every penny and surprisingly very comfortable while hiking. If for some reason your boots get wet, these are a life/hunt saver.

2 pairs of darn tough socks.. wear crocs in the evening around the fire to keep the fancy boots from melting and dry out the socks also take them off for breaks to keep them dry...crocs are awesome! Stocked moose in crocs a few times when they came in grunting while sitting around the fire lol..I could do with one pair but the prepper in me takes 2..
    "Our arrows will block out the sun!" "Then we shall fight in the dark!" K.L. Government is not the solution to our problem, it is the problem. R.R. “One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” M.F. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClJ...fYFveARiWyqjQA