Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many pairs of socks?

How many pairs of socks?

I was just wondering how many pairs of socks you mountain hunters pack with you?

On multi day hikes I always bring a few pairs and wash them out, but when I was out with some friends last summer they wore the same pair of merino socks for 5 straight days. I didn稚 give their feet a sniff, but they said no problems with moist, stinky feet.

I have ave a couple pairs of icebreakers I wear pretty religiously and I知 going to see how many days I can go this summer without changing them. I知 betting I値l breakdown and change them long before the 5 day mark.

On a side note. Does anyone have a hack for wearing the same pair of underwear for 5 days? Lol
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: How many pairs of socks?

2-3 pairs depending on the conditions should be adequate for 90+% of the hunts in BC.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

Deluth bucknaked underwear can be work for days on end

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    I was just wondering

On a side note. Does anyone have a hack for wearing the same pair of underwear for 5 days? Lol

First off you can get 4 days by spinning them from to back and then flipping them inside out and spinning them again. On day 5 you just pick the cleanest panel.

2 days or 14 days, I pack 2 pairs of light smart wool socks and one pair of medium or heavy smart wool socks. Any time I stop for 15 minutes or more, I have my crocks on and the pair I’m wearing dry out quick.

I’m going on a 10 day backpack hunt this August. I’m going to wear one pair and pack 2 pair for spares. Seems like you can spend $5-$50 a pair. What do most of you recommend I don’t mind spending good money just want to find some high quality socks for the trip

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I’m going on a 10 day backpack hunt this August. I’m going to wear one pair and pack 2 pair for spares. Seems like you can spend $5-$50 a pair. What do most of you recommend I don’t mind spending good money just want to find some high quality socks for the trip

thanks
    I wore smart wool for a few years, but am really starting to like darn tough. I find icebreaker's quality has gone down, but their price hasn't.

Be one with nature. No shoes or socks be a man !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    First off you can get 4 days by spinning them from to back and then flipping them inside out and spinning them again. On day 5 you just pick the cleanest panel.
    After that yu can use them as toalet paper smell is gonna be like bear bites,,dont keep them around ya camp..

I like to take a few extra pairs of socks as a luxury item so I usually pack 3-4 pairs... I always pack Thorlo level III hikers or trekkers they might be called now and usually brand new pairs. Nothing feels better on your feet after several miles with a loaded pack than a brand new pair of Thorlos. I have yet to find a better, thicker sock for mountain hunting. As Decker has mentioned whenever I stop for a few minutes my boots come off, usually my socks too and I let everything air out. It's always nice to soak the feet in a cold mountain creek as well.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!