Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Not wanting to stray too far from the op, but does that work both ways? If a mature bull moose has broken of all but a chunk of one antler, can it be "legally" classed as an immature?
    Immature for a fact as told me by a CO in PG. this was a voluntary inspection of mature bull with broken/deformed antlers that only showed 2 countable points on one side. His ruling was Mature, yes but legal by tine count. No charge or even warning.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

IIRC when the retrained the compulsory inspectors a few years ago, I thought that if the estimated groomed length was greater than 2” then the next visible annuli would be considered the second.

If what we all consider the third annuli is a second year “bulge” then the lengths to the 3 annuli are off the normal charts ....even for a B&C ram.

Having said all of this, I want to get at least 9 years on a ram before pulling the pin on a short ram.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Can we see a picture of the Horns without the cape?

Question for you sheep guys. Typically are double broomed rams around 8 years or older or can you expect a younger ram to be broomed?

Seems a bit complex. Glad to know all of this, as I realize I have a ton to learn before even thinking about sheep hunting. Feel bad for the kid.

So there’s an area that is known for huge growth (most prevalent on the first growing season) which results in an unusually long lamb tip; just food for thought. The area does also have great mass as well.

From a bio standpoint, it would be hard to age on what they cannot see. It’s only assumptions and educated guesses after that.

My rule, if shooting on age and there’s ANY uncertainty is to pass on 8 year olds. Maybe it’s being cautious but I’d rather pass than shoot an underaged sheep and lose it. In my rookie sheep year, two days into my sheep career, I passed on a ram I counted 8 rings on over and over. Two days of following the group around at 300 yards. Looking back I know his lamb tips were missing in the broomed off section. I was being over cautious forsure but I was young and had no experience to back it. It can be tricky business shooting on age....

Quote Originally Posted by Kopper View Post
    So there’s an area that is known for huge growth (most prevalent on the first growing season) which results in an unusually long lamb tip; just food for thought. The area does also have great mass as well.

From a bio standpoint, it would be hard to age on what they cannot see. It’s only assumptions and educated guesses after that.

My rule, if shooting on age and there’s ANY uncertainty is to pass on 8 year olds.
    It can be tricky business shooting on age....
    The last 2 sentences pretty well sum it up.
    Last edited by bearvalley; 05-09-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Immature for a fact as told me by a CO in PG. this was a voluntary inspection of mature bull with broken/deformed antlers that only showed 2 countable points on one side. His ruling was Mature, yes but legal by tine count. No charge or even warning.
    the reason 'immature' was removed and now it is only tine count. They don't care if one or two fall through the cracks, the tine count is the definative defensable regulation.

Just like this ram. the regs say 'as evidenced by true horn annuli' implying they have to be there to count.
    BJ has been giving sheep aging seminars for years at the WSSoBC convention, this has been discussed ad nauseum

Whats also scary about this situation and the posts on CL's FB is all the guys saying they would shoot the same ram.
    This isn't the first time a ram like this has been deemed illegal and not the last apparently.
    Its not like someone moved the goal posts for this one
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    Question for you sheep guys. Typically are double broomed rams around 8 years or older or can you expect a younger ram to be broomed?
    expect anything, never say never. Missing tips can be the result of a few causes, actual brooming, breakage, deformity
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    the reason 'immature' was removed and now it is only tine count. They don't care if one or two fall through the cracks, the tine count is the definative defensable regulation.

Just like this ram. the regs say 'as evidenced by true horn annuli' implying they have to be there to count.
    BJ has been giving sheep aging seminars for years at the WSSoBC convention, this has been discussed ad nauseum

Whats also scary about this situation and the posts on CL's FB is all the guys saying they would shoot the same ram.
    This isn't the first time a ram like this has been deemed illegal and not the last apparently.
    Its not like someone moved the goal posts for this one
    Both BJ and CL have BOTH done the horn aging for the BC Sheep show the last two years yet they come to different conclusions. Dr. Geist also spent YEARS teaching those same bios while they were going through school. What is more is nobody looks at more rams then Sheep guides themselves and when you read the comments on Clay's FB post you can see some world renowned sheep guides aging it and saying they would have pulled the trigger also. In the end a little common sense can go a long ways.