Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post

The only sure way to solve it is do away with the age rule and go to curl only combined with an any ram LEH. This is what was done with Spence’s bridge do to short sheep being shot on age.
    Better yet, do away with the 8 years or full curl regulation and implement an LEH any ram season.
    As long as the LEH authorizations do not exceed the sustainable harvest of rams this could be a winning situation.
    There’s old rams that under the current regs will never be legal.
    Not all rams live to be 8 years old.
    Im pretty sure the COS and a lot of provincial biologists would go along with a proposal like this....all they have to do is check for nuts.
    I would bet that Bill Jex would agree that the ram pictured by the OP is 8+ years old....where the sheep failed is that it didn’t bridge and did not have the visible annuli.
    If Bill had ruled in favour of the hunter and handed over the horns a legal precedent would have been set and any future ram with 7 annuli and a broomed tip would become legal.
    Ageing a short sheep is risky....I’ve seen short, 7 year old rams aged at 8, 9 and even 10 years old by experienced sheep hunters when looking at pictures.
    Ive also seen bios age sheep the same, looking at complete different annuli in their age count.
    The best bet is to make sure the ram makes full curl then it’s gauranteed legal.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    Better yet, do away with the 8 years or full curl regulation and implement an LEH any ram season.
    As long as the LEH authorizations do not exceed the sustainable harvest of rams this could be a winning situation.
    Im pretty sure the COS and a lot of provincial biologists would go along with a proposal like this....all they have to do is check for nuts.
    I would bet that Bill Jex would agree that the ram pictured by the OP is 8+ years old....where the sheep failed is that it didn’t bridge and did not have the visible annuli.
    If Bill had ruled in favour of the hunter and handed over the horns a legal precedent would have been set and any future ram with 7 annuli and a broomed tip would become legal.
    Ageing a short sheep is risky....I’ve seen short, 7 year old rams aged at 8, 9 and even 10 years old by experienced sheep hunters when looking at pictures.
    Ive also seen bios age sheep the same, looking at complete different annuli in their age count.
    The best bet is to make sure the ram makes full curl then it’s gauranteed legal.
    Just asking to make sure I fully understand, are you suggesting all sheep hunting should be on LEH for any ram? No more GOS for sheep?
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

I hate LEH unless needed so let’s not go there

Not a sheep hunter(been on 3 unsuccessful sheep hunts) and ageing in the field is beyond me but I cannot speak enough for or against shooting sheep on age. I can say for a fact I would not shoot the ram posted

either way if short sheep is shown as a problem something should change

So Wild one, here’s a question......in an area that’s already LEH for sheep and the resident harvest is not being met under the current regulations.....what is wrong with an “ANY RAM LEH” as long as the issued authorizations are kept within a range that ensures an overharvest does not occur?

A sliding 'trophy fee' scale.
    Over the bridge . . . no fee.
    Each increment below the bridge, an incremental larger 'trophy fee'.
    Hunter keeps his ram.

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Just asking to make sure I fully understand, are you suggesting all sheep hunting should be on LEH for any ram? No more GOS for sheep?
    No, I wasn’t suggesting all sheep hunts go to LEH.
    But now that you brought it up and not to start a pissing match....the day is probably coming.
    The old days of tight lipped sheep hunters is of the past.
    Access, GPS devices and the internet aren’t working in the favour of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Hunter keeps his ram.
    This concept holds merit!
    There has to be a better way than what’s currently the rule.
    Many sheep hunters only take 1 ram in a lifetime and would be content with a short sheep.
    Why confiscate a short ram, destroy the horns and create a situation where the hunter has to go harvest another ram.

Thumbs up Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

WOAH!!

Must be the sound of Hell Freezing Over?

I actually and fully agree with BV on this.
    In areas where LEH is the functioning management "tool", this in fact could be quite good for both the sheep and their hunters.
    Very good in fact.

Stay with the full curl & eliminate any considerations of "age" in GOS (while it lasts) and this could be a Win Win.

Cheers BV. Surprised, but not overly so...
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I think they should hash out why professionals disagree on the age of the sheep before they change the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Hunter keeps his ram.
    But according to the uppers , no resident hunters are " Trophy Hunters " only rich non residents are " Trophy Hunters "
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......