Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Yes, I believe you are right, it isn't the same.
    IF the OP's ram was taken in Alaska, it would have been legal.
    (Out of Alaskan Regs):
    A legal ram under a full-curl regulation is:
    • A full-curl ram, whose tip of at least one horn has grown through
    o of a circle described by the outer surface of the horn, as
    viewed from the side (Figure 1).
    • A ram with the tips of both horns broken which means the lamb
    tip is completely absent. Horn tips that are chipped or cracked
    are not considered broken if any portion of the lamb tip is present
    (Figure 2).
    Lamb tip characteristics:
    • a length of less than four inches;
    • the inside surface of the lamb tip is distinctly concave when
    compared to the remainder of the horn;
    • the lamb tip is the section of a horn that is grown during the
    first six months of a sheep’s life and is the section of horn
    distal of the first annulus, which is the swelling of the horn
    that forms during the first winter of life.
    • A ram at least 8 years old as determined by counting annual
    horn rings and segments (Figure 3). If a ram’s horns are not legal
    based on degree of curl or broken tips, you are responsible for
    counting at least 8 true annuli before attempting to take the ram.
    It is difficult and ill-advised to age a ram in the field by only count
    ing
    horn rings because of false annuli and narrow horn segments
    on older rams
    Had me second guessing myself... had to go back and double check LOL

I'm curious what peoples opinions would be on a law like this, it would have proved effective in this case.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by porthunter View Post
    Had me second guessing myself... had to go back and double check LOL

I'm curious what peoples opinions would be on a law like this, it would have proved effective in this case.
    Yes it would have worked in this case but there is cases in alaska were it hasnt were one of thge horns wasnt broomed enough etc
    so same thing could happen. People just have to learn they dont have to shoot something and be sure that if they do it is legal
    under they regs. The EK used to also be full curl or 8 seen a fair number of rams shot that people said they thought they were
    8 so that rule was taken away now its full curl, still rams are shot that people say they thought they were full curl. Some have taken
    more then one short ram, some of the storys of how they were full curl before they were shot then ended up short are a little crazy as well.
    Watched a guy shoot a young ram one day he had a LEH ewe tag thought it was a ewe. Another guy shoots a 3/4 curl lamb tip ram in
    a full curl area.
    Im with BV I think certain areas have to go on LEH, and there is some talk that more may happen in the EK but may just be talk.

What I see is 7.5 years shown by anual growth. Most likely the ram is 8.5 years old but its not full curl and it does not clearly show 8 anuli? It would be one of those rams that if you had of shot it you would be walking up to it with your fingers crossed. Many of the sheep in this area have thick bases at an early age in life. But the regs say 8 anuli or full curl.. Thats how you keep sheep on the sidehill. Let em walk if your not 100% sure..
    Legaly I would have to go with the CI.

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    As it sits now the aging of horns was brought in so guys could shoot 10-11 year olds that may never be above the bridge of the hose. It was not meant to shoot an eight year old that has broomed off his lamb tip regardless how big the ram is. So this thread and other people complaining to the government will get the law changed to say that the horn must have 8 annuli showing for it to be legal.
    The problem that is going to happen is people will start shooting rams on what they think is an annuli and you will get sheep shot that have 8 rings but not true annuli. People will fight these in court and the government to avoid going to court on whats a ring and whats not will simply eliminate the ageing of rams. Can you say Spences bridge?
    Now guys are complaining that they are seeing mature rams that are 10+ years old and will never be above the bridge of the nose.

BHB
    bingo!!!!!!!

https://bchuntingblog.com/blog/2012/...-in-the-field/

Some good info, context and photos in this link for people just getting into sheep hunting

Another reason to deal with people from stone country for aging and taxi work. Not the first age ‘botching’ I’ve seen on here that were aged by those who don’t look over dozens of rams a season for decades. Too bad, was a nice ram...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

https://bchuntingblog.com/blog/2012/...-in-the-field/

Some good info, context and photos in this link for people just getting into sheep hunting
    Thank you for sharing this. I made it quite a few years ago now, it's due for some updating.
    Don't Go Ninja'n Nobody, Don't Need Ninja'n!

CO's and bios can get it wrong. Back in 2002, we got a couple of Stones. Decent ones, but not book worthy. The inspector (back then it was at the ministry branch in surrey), said to me, "so where did you get this Bighorn?" I smiled and told him, close to the Yukon border. Then he insisted, where did I get this Rocky? I've hunted thinhorns religiously for the last 20 years, and to this day, I still don't know why he thought it was a bighorn....

Quote Originally Posted by bighornbob View Post
    As it sits now the aging of horns was brought in so guys could shoot 10-11 year olds that may never be above the bridge of the hose. It was not meant to shoot an eight year old that has broomed off his lamb tip regardless how big the ram is. So this thread and other people complaining to the government will get the law changed to say that the horn must have 8 annuli showing for it to be legal.
    The problem that is going to happen is people will start shooting rams on what they think is an annuli and you will get sheep shot that have 8 rings but not true annuli. People will fight these in court and the government to avoid going to court on whats a ring and whats not will simply eliminate the ageing of rams. Can you say Spences bridge?
    Now guys are complaining that they are seeing mature rams that are 10+ years old and will never be above the bridge of the nose.

BHB
    Can’t argue any of that!

The annuli with the mud next to it (CI/Bio calling 2nd year) do you find it odd to have a 2nd year with 9 1/2” circumference??
    Im just picturing a year old lamb that looks like a Thar.
    I'm that guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Another reason to deal with people from stone country for aging and taxi work. Not the first age ‘botching’ I’ve seen on here that were aged by those who don’t look over dozens of rams a season for decades. Too bad, was a nice ram...
    I'd gladly use a taxidermist from Cody, Wyoming without hesitation and feel confident even though hes thousands of miles from "stone country". Taxidermy and CI work are not synonymous in my experience.