Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

I think there is little room to debate whether this ram it's any age other than 8... But the fact remains, when you shoot a ram based on implied missing annulus you take your chances. Not sure how the bios are arguing that this ram could be 7...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb View Post
    I think there is little room to debate whether this ram it's any age other than 8... But the fact remains, when you shoot a ram based on implied missing annulus you take your chances. Not sure how the bios are arguing that this ram could be 7...
    We always go full curl or 9 when aging, least it gives you a buffer in case something is off. Thinking of Shooting an 8 year old non full curl ram personally gives me worms.
    I'm that guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Well there is one thing I have learned from the thread I have no interest in becoming a sheep hunter way too complicated
    The ONLY thing complicted is the F & W dept of BC ! WAY ! WAY ! WAY ! to many rules and regulations now a days ! Phucking Ridiculous ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    The ONLY thing complicted is the F & W dept of BC ! WAY ! WAY ! WAY ! to many rules and regulations now a days ! Phucking Ridiculous ! RJ
    now you're just sounding like a fudd ))
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

I would have shot that also. What a travisty call by professionals in the field that are supposed too know the rules. shame on you mr co and mr biologist

Quote Originally Posted by Bobfl View Post
    I would have shot that also. What a travisty call by professionals in the field that are supposed too know the rules. shame on you mr co and mr biologist
    YUP ! me too ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine85 View Post
    We always go full curl or 9 when aging, least it gives you a buffer in case something is off. Thinking of Shooting an 8 year old non full curl ram personally gives me worms.
    After reading the OP's info/story, I would remember to take your advice if I were to go, that's for sure.
    But, I also understand why some say they would have taken it, as the Bios saying it's not 8 is ridiculous!
    The only thing the kid got wrong and the ministry officials hammered him is because of what is
    "written in ink" in the regs.

Think about it:
    You cant shoot a 8 year old ram, that's not the issue.
    But, only if all the annuli are showing????
    Hmmmmm??

I do appreciate the OP bringing up on HBC.
    Sure has been an interesting thread.

In a way, the regs shouldn't say 8 years of age.
    If they expect to "see 8 annuli rings", than it might have to be a 10 year old if it's broomed a lot!

But than again, the Ministry says hunters should be really careful when counting annuli rings because
    some get confused between false and real rings!

One other thing, I would recommend to everyone to bring the teeth out with you.
    For that "just in case" security.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

One other thing, I would recommend to everyone to bring the teeth out with you.
    For that "just in case" security.
    Not just a recommendation but its the law to bring a tooth out with you. It was mentioned that the law was changed that year and they never brought the tooth/teeth out.

We were up north that year and only one out of four that we talked too that had killed rams knew about the rule. Most were like oh whatever, i have the horns what do they need teeth for. Even though its stated in the regs.

That being said I dont think they use the teeth for ageing anyway.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

Quote Originally Posted by dracb View Post
    That is why the C.I. can only count the annuli he can see when determining the "legal" age as contrasted with "actual" age. Start counting annuli you can not see and every short sheep become an argument based on opinion. The current system works amazingly well and relatively few short under "legal" age rams are confiscated. The variety of conflicting "opinions" offered in this thread is what you get when people abandon a clearly stated definition of "legal" and seek to apply in an inconsistent manner opinions based on a very wide range of unsubstantiated fact, observations and conditions that are not constant across the complete population of sheep or hunters.

Just use the rule: If I can not see an annuli it does not exist and never existed and can not be used to "Legally" age the sheep in question. The sheep is "legally" only as old as you the CI and the CO can count existing annuli.
    This is right on the money, you can’t count it don’t shoot it! And if people push this rule we will loose the right to age rams. Will be a full curl only rule