Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

I think your only mistake was taking back to Kamloops to get plugged, If you let the guys certify it that see the majority of the Stone sheep taken in BC each year, he would be hanging on your wall

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman2 View Post
    I think your only mistake was taking back to Kamloops to get plugged, If you let the guys certify it that see the majority of the Stone sheep taken in BC each year, he would be hanging on your wall
    …….…………………..

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Not wanting to stray too far from the op, but does that work both ways? If a mature bull moose has broken of all but a chunk of one antler, can it be "legally" classed as an immature?
    Yes, it can and does happen. I have seen guys shoot a moose with a full palmated antler on one side and the other could only be described as a single club/spike. COs stopped him and let him on his way as it fit the latest definition in the regs of being spike or fork bull. FYI, they intentionally removed the "immature bull" idea from the regs for this reason. It now specifically says spike/fork, so if it has broken everything off on one side with the exception of one or 2 legally defined points/tines, it is legal as a spike/fork. I myself shot a bull under an any bull LEH, he had busted one side off completely during the rut, the CO came through camp later and we asked him out of curiosity whether it could have been a spike/fork under the regs if we did not have an LEH and were in a spike/fork open season/region, he said ours technically wouldn't as it had busted off so far to the base that what was left didn't fit the dimensional restrictions in the regs for a point/tine BUT, had it been slightly longer and narrower, it would have, even with the other side in tact and fully palmated.
    Last edited by russm86; 05-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.

The Region 6 biologist who was the "expert" witness doesn't know shit from shinola ... been dealing with him myself for way to long. He wanted to stop B.C hunters from taking old broom-back rams, based on age, completely a few years ago. He got beat down on that one as his argument was based on personal opinion rather than proven facts/science. That's a pretty common mindset in Skeena Region.

Unfortunately this type of flawed thinking is contagious, as it is being repeated across all regions now.

The ram in question is at least 8-years old. I feel bad for the kid. A little discretion by the bureaucrats is required in a case like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    No, I wasn’t suggesting all sheep hunts go to LEH.
    But now that you brought it up and not to start a pissing match....the day is probably coming.
    The old days of tight lipped sheep hunters is of the past.
    Access, GPS devices and the internet aren’t working in the favour of sheep.
    Ahh I see, so you're saying something to hunting sheep in say, the Fraser River area? GOS for Full Curl Rams(over the nose when talking thinhorns) but a LEH for 3/4 rams. I personally would prefer to see some sort of control on that, maybe 3/4 LEH for thinhorns? Something about the idea of a 2 or 3 year old ram being harvested really bothers me. Also aware that there are some 3/4 rams that have been taken in the past that were 3 years old, but that isn't very common.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    So Wild one, here’s a question......in an area that’s already LEH for sheep and the resident harvest is not being met under the current regulations.....what is wrong with an “ANY RAM LEH” as long as the issued authorizations are kept within a range that ensures an overharvest does not occur?
    Few zones in Region 8 are any ram LEH
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

That's the problem with age restriction, be careful. You are taking a chance when counting annuli.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainman2 View Post
    You're absolutely right there my friend. Talked to a couple CIs independently in other regions who were private contracted out and they all said they would have plugged it. If nothing else the public should know where and where not to take their hard earned animals.
    Last edited by Romain; 05-10-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    Few zones in Region 8 are any ram LEH
    Hows that worked out..........?

Probably as you would expect )
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole