Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Re: Warning to bc sheep hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
    I'd gladly use a taxidermist from Cody, Wyoming without hesitation and feel confident even though hes thousands of miles from "stone country". Taxidermy and CI work are not synonymous in my experience.
    Perhaps, but I enjoy a one stop shop. And I would put their taxi skills among the best...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    the reason 'immature' was removed and now it is only tine count. They don't care if one or two fall through the cracks, the tine count is the definative defensable regulation.

Just like this ram. the regs say 'as evidenced by true horn annuli' implying they have to be there to count.
    BJ has been giving sheep aging seminars for years at the WSSoBC convention, this has been discussed ad nauseum

Whats also scary about this situation and the posts on CL's FB is all the guys saying they would shoot the same ram.
    This isn't the first time a ram like this has been deemed illegal and not the last apparently.
    Its not like someone moved the goal posts for this one
    With sheep season coming up I got thinking of this thread.

For those interested here is the presentation originally developed and presented by Bill Jex, note page 10 where he publicly advertises a 7-ring broomed ram as legal:

https://wildsheepsociety.com/wp-cont...JQxZevvKHViIkg

I still don't understand the outcome of the court case. I wonder if this presentation was used as evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Rampager View Post
    With sheep season coming up I got thinking of this thread.

For those interested here is the presentation originally developed and presented by Bill Jex, note page 10 where he publicly advertises a 7-ring broomed ram as legal:

https://wildsheepsociety.com/wp-cont...JQxZevvKHViIkg

I still don't understand the outcome of the court case. I wonder if this presentation was used as evidence?
    I'm assuming the age given on that ram(9) is based on the rings counted on the other side. You can see in the picture the other side is tipped and would show all annuli, I'd agree with you though that it probably isn't a great example to only show the broomed side of that ram and not both.
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends

WSSBC Monarch; RMGA; 2% for Conservation Certified; WSF; BCWF

Here is an interesting video just released, Bill Jex rehashing sheep info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload...1mUnqyF983uu-M
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    Not wanting to stray too far from the op, but does that work both ways? If a mature bull moose has broken of all but a chunk of one antler, can it be "legally" classed as an immature?
    I had an LEH for a spike Bull Moose in the Kootenays, my first day there I come across a spike bull at about 200 yards, give him the Weatherby business and he's down for the count, get up to him and he's a 2 point on one side and a broken off antler on the other side which was the spike I seen, took it in for inspection and the CO raised an eyebrow and was pretty reluctant to aprove it but could not say it wasn't as it had a spike on one side even though it was broken off.

Sure feel bad for the young fellow either way.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

How long ago was this spike moose season?

"took it in for inspection and the CO raised an eyebrow and was pretty reluctant to aprove it but could not say it wasn't as it had a spike on one side even though it was broken off."

Was he looking for axe or saw marks?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Isn’t a 2 point moose legal?

My brother and I have each taken 7 Stones rams and helped with others. Maybe 20 total. I also have friends that are sheep hunters so I’ve handled many more. Our two biggest rams are 8yr olds and have 15”+ and 16”+ bases and no brooming, with heavy mass from tips to bases. 168.5” and 174+”. The bigger one NOT full curl. The smallest ram is an 11 year old with 12” bases and heavily broomed on both sides. One side still showing the 2nd year annuli and the other side broomed all the way back with just the 3rd year annuli showing. Another is 12 yrs old broomed both sides all the way back to the 2nd yr annuli but still easily breaks the nose bridge. Another is 11 yrs old with both lamb tips intact and no where close to being full curl. The rest are somewhere in between.
    These rams run from big and heavy to small and thin but what I find with all these rams is that the diameter at the 2nd yr annuli of the largest ram, is still smaller than the diameter of the 3rd annuli on the smallest thinnest ram. Even though this is probably based on only 30-40 rams, with the horns in hand, there is no way to not know the difference between a 2nd and 3rd yr annuli unless you don’t have much experience/knowledge.
    So far the only disagreement with a CI on age was whether the short curl thin ram with both tips was 11 or 12. I think 12 he thought 11. The problem with the age of 11 is that it gives this smallish, short ram a lamb tip that’s nearly 4” long and a 1st yr annuli diameter that’s consistent with 2nd yr annuli diameter of all these other rams, biggest to smallest. Not very likely.
    No other disagreements even with rams heavily broomed on both sides, 12 being the oldest.
    In my opinion, any CI that is only going to count the annuli that are still visible, lacks experience/knowledge and common sense. But I guess it doesn’t always require experience/knowledge and common sense to follow the “letter of the law”.
    Last edited by mod7rem; 08-07-2020 at 01:02 PM.