Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise capstan winch

Re: Enterprise capstan winch

I bought the Portable Winch PCW3000 (1550lb rated one) a few years ago. Have used it for firewood, and finally got to use it on a Moose last year. Pulled it over half-kilometre rigging many times during terrible weather in early November. It is not fast, but with knees showing their age from too many years working in the bush it is an awesome tool to keep from packing the weight on your back.

You should check out “West Coast Winch” when you are ready to buy. They had the best price I could find. You will never have to worry about shooting something below the road either!

Quote Originally Posted by Kowabunga View Post
    I bought the Portable Winch PCW3000 (1550lb rated one) a few years ago. Have used it for firewood, and finally got to use it on a Moose last year. Pulled it over half-kilometre rigging many times during terrible weather in early November. It is not fast, but with knees showing their age from too many years working in the bush it is an awesome tool to keep from packing the weight on your back.

You should check out “West Coast Winch” when you are ready to buy. They had the best price I could find. You will never have to worry about shooting something below the road either!
    Thanks for the tip. They sell 656' rolls of 3/8". That might be handy if a guy's hauling an animal out.

It sounds like you're pretty happy with your pcw3000. Did you have to kind of steer the moose so it wouldn't get hung up on obstacles, or did it generally pull along pretty good?
    When in doubt, just pin it.

It was definitely a two person job. It was through an older plantation (greened-up cutblock) so lots of trees to maneuver through. I would go ahead trying to keep the line (160-ft - 3/ rope as straight as possible and set up the winch, and my hunting partner would stay with the animal and make sure legs or antlers didn't catch anything along the way once we started winching. Last pull we used both lengths of rope we had (150-metres - 480-ft).

We did pull by the back legs so the antlers weren't as likely to hook on brush/trees/logs. As mentioned, it is not fast - probably takes about as long as making more trips with smaller loads on your back.

It was definitely a two person job. It was through an older plantation (greened-up cutblock) so lots of trees to maneuver through. I would go ahead trying to keep the line (160-ft - 3/ rope as straight as possible and set up the winch, and my hunting partner would stay with the animal and make sure legs or antlers didn't catch anything along the way once we started winching. Last pull we used both lengths of rope we had (150-metres - 480-ft).

We did pull by the back legs so the antlers weren't as likely to hook on brush/trees/logs. As mentioned, it is not fast - probably takes about as long as making more trips with smaller loads on your back.
    Thanks for the description. I just ordered a PCW3000 garden kit with includes a couple of carabiner, extra tree strap, side swing pulley, carry bag. 50 m rope. Pretty good deal through Rittenhouse. Might get a longer rope in the future.

I almost ordered the PCW4000, but liked the lower price, lighter weight of the 3000. I watched a youtube video of a 3000 pulling a moose and was sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    Princess auto should be your first RED flag IMHO
    You could be right. Even on sale I had a hard time spending that kind of money on it. It might have worked awesome for years, but I'd be worrying about it malfunctioning when we really needed it.

Do you guys use rope bags, or just wind it back on a spool? Looking to buy a long length of rope.

If your looking for rope this is where I ordered mine from. Cheapest place I could find and free shipping.
    https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store...r-double-braid
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecamp View Post
    If your looking for rope this is where I ordered mine from. Cheapest place I could find and free shipping.
    https://www.mapleleafropes.com/store...r-double-braid
    Thanks for the tip. I just checked out their prices and they're really good. I'll definitely order it from them.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandWanderer View Post
    Do you guys use rope bags, or just wind it back on a spool? Looking to buy a long length of rope.
    With a capstan winch there's no need for super long lengths of rope, and a Capstan is always the rated pulling power no matter the length unlike a drum winch. I have the Portable Winch, the 1000lb one. I got it with the "hunting kit" It comes with a tree strap, length of rope, rope bag, and a hard case backpack that will allow the winch and accessories to be inside. Strap it onto your back. Has nice shoulder harness and hip pads. Rope bag stores at the bottom of pack. Learn how to set up a Prusik knot and you can winch from the animal or from a tree etc. It's slow, but so is packing quarters.
    It's Mom not Mum
    It's Fries not Chips
    It's Soccer not Football
    It's School not Shooting Range

I know most guys have an understanding of working with ropes but I've seen guys get hurt and do some dumb things around rope. Here are some safety tips. Understand the "bight" and when you might be in it. Always assume a rope may break and when it does depending on the rope it can injure, stay out of the line of fire. Shackles etc joining ropes will really fly upon breaking. Understand breaking strength and working strength when purchasing your rope. Store rope out of direct sunlight.
    "Bullshit doesn't need to be countered by anything, just called out for what it is." Edward Teach