Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Enterprise capstan winch

Re: Enterprise capstan winch

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    I know most guys have an understanding of working with ropes but I've seen guys get hurt and do some dumb things around rope. Here are some safety tips. Understand the "bight" and when you might be in it. Always assume a rope may break and when it does depending on the rope it can injure, stay out of the line of fire. Shackles etc joining ropes will really fly upon breaking. Understand breaking strength and working strength when purchasing your rope. Store rope out of direct sunlight.
    Thanks, good points. I have very little experience with rigging so I'll have to watch some youtube rigging safety videos. I was getting pulled out once and the rope snapped and broke my windshield while I was at the wheel. It definitely made an impression with me.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Poutine View Post
    With a capstan winch there's no need for super long lengths of rope, and a Capstan is always the rated pulling power no matter the length unlike a drum winch. I have the Portable Winch, the 1000lb one. I got it with the "hunting kit" It comes with a tree strap, length of rope, rope bag, and a hard case backpack that will allow the winch and accessories to be inside. Strap it onto your back. Has nice shoulder harness and hip pads. Rope bag stores at the bottom of pack. Learn how to set up a Prusik knot and you can winch from the animal or from a tree etc. It's slow, but so is packing quarters.
    I almost bought that same kit, but went with the slightly less expensive garden kit. That's cool that the case can be worn on your back.

I ordered the small forestry kit which I believe came with one rope bag and 50-metres of 10-mm (3/ rope. At the same time ordered another 100-metre length, and a second rope bag. I hadn’t pulled this one off the spool until we needed it last Fall. The bags are not very expensive, and you would have a hard time getting it back on the light metal spool in an organized way. The 100-metre just fit the spool it was on, and of course was perfect from the factory. I am pretty careful with my stuff, but wouldn’t want to attempt getting it back on the spool in nicely organized layers so it fits.

I think you made a good choice in product. I am sure the first time you use it you will appreciate it, regardless of what you are dragging. I know I helped another guy drag a 2-point mule deer a couple hundred metres up a hill long before I got my winch, and even that would have been a lot better with the winch. Best of luck this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowabunga View Post
    I ordered the small forestry kit which I believe came with one rope bag and 50-metres of 10-mm (3/ rope. At the same time ordered another 100-metre length, and a second rope bag. I hadn’t pulled this one off the spool until we needed it last Fall. The bags are not very expensive, and you would have a hard time getting it back on the light metal spool in an organized way. The 100-metre just fit the spool it was on, and of course was perfect from the factory. I am pretty careful with my stuff, but wouldn’t want to attempt getting it back on the spool in nicely organized layers so it fits.

I think you made a good choice in product. I am sure the first time you use it you will appreciate it, regardless of what you are dragging. I know I helped another guy drag a 2-point mule deer a couple hundred metres up a hill long before I got my winch, and even that would have been a lot better with the winch. Best of luck this season.
    Thanks, that makes sense. The rope would be perfectly spooled from the factory but would be a mess when I'm putting it away out in the bush. Just bought the extra large bag. Also got 600' 3/8" from Maple Leaf ropes. Thanks to Moosecamp for the recommendation. Unbelievably good prices and even got free shipping and 10% off for registering.

Just need a critter to drag through the bush now.