Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs jobs jobs-do the numbers...

Jobs jobs jobs-do the numbers...

Trudeau always talks about jobs,jobs,jobs...do the numbers for the salmon guides...First they have a capital investment in a boat,likely $100,000 up( you can’t run a guiding business out of a 16’ trailer boat ) that boat has to be maintained,repaired ,replaced,insured,moored before you even leave the dockand then there’s gear,bait and gas once you do leave the dock. Now consider you have about 6-8 weeks out of 52 to actually get clients out on the water( August and September( October used to be traditional coho but by the time we had an opening,the coho had all come through.Sockeye is the same,by the time you got an opening,the fish had gone through.Winter spring used to provide a pretty consistent fishery,but last year off sooke that was a bust,virtually no fish.Halibut,when you can get out is restricted to one fish....period .
    so let’s assume the salmon guide runs two charters every day,seven days a week for his prime time,eight weeks. Each trip he charges $300-350,times two,$600-700 a day, for 8 weeks, for a maximum of $48,000 - $56,000 for the season....that’s MAXIMUM ,no days off, no bad weather that keeps him at the dock, no time off period and assuming he can book 100%of his time(nobody can)
    this means the guy can’t even pay his expenses and break even,even if he works for NOTHING

Jobs,jobs,jobs...what jobs? Not in the salmon fishing charter business....the numbers just aren’t there ....(ok,maybe he can take people out to watch the seals,at least there’s plenty of them...

the guy I chartered with for 20 years has sold his boat,his house and moved away.The tackle shop in a Sooke has folded..how many more will follow?....Jobs,jobs jobs?
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-06-2019 at 11:19 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Jobs jobs jobs-do the numbers...

I've always been under the impression that most guides have other jobs or are retired and act as guides to subsidize their boats and their own fishing habits. That's what it looks like in Rupert and Port Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hublocker View Post
    I've always been under the impression that most guides have other jobs or are retired and act as guides to subsidize their boats and their own fishing habits. That's what it looks like in Rupert and Port Hardy.
    That is not always the case

I'm more worried about the jobs related to the average sports fisherman. Boat and motor retailers, maintenance, equipment and tackle shops, restaurants and tourism. Adds up to a lot for local economies.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    I'm more worried about the jobs related to the average sports fisherman. Boat and motor retailers, maintenance, equipment and tackle shops, restaurants and tourism. Adds up to a lot for local economies.
    These will be the big ones ^^^

Hmmm lots of boats coming up for sale..and lodges too ! Bookings down 60....75%..
    Srupp

Tbh i hope things keep getting worse, it's the only way Canadians will grow up a backbone and put or foot down. Enough of this tit sucking from hundreds of thousands of adults.. time to grow up and quit putting your hand out.

Outside the coastal communities-who knows or even cares about a ‘few sports fisherman’? ( about as many cared about the independent trollers,virtually an extinct species now. You think the rest of Canada cares?politics is a numbers game ,and if they piss off a few people,so what?

Salmon fishing is not just a recreation,it’s a way of life,it’s who we are and we let it slip away while the government ‘studied ‘ it.

oh one bit of good news,the Liberals are in a downward spiral at the polls..
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-06-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Arrow Re: Jobs jobs jobs-do the numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Outside the coastal communities-who knows or even cares about a ‘few sports fisherman’? ( about as many cared about the independent trollers,virtually an extinct species now. You think the rest of Canada cares?politics is a numbers game ,and if they piss off a few people,so what?
    I am one of those extinct species (Area G Troll) now.
    They took a realistically decent livelihood and way of life, and flushed it.
    For NO return.
    And NO compensation. Despite the coin already being in their hands to do so which cost Canada nothing.
    Simply turned their backs on us, and walked away after screwing us royally.

What it means for me personally is I am selling off assets and toys like mad just to keep our house.
    I do not know if we will make it.
    And while I seek other employ, let's face it "60 year old opinionated fat guy with one good eye seeks employ" doesn't go very far these days.
    And I am of course angry.
    As are the rest of my fleet.

Apparently the only thing they who shoved this on us understands is votes.
    I hope like hell their opposition is taking notes...

Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

I’m 72 and while never fished commercially,knew people who did.Trollers were independent guys who lived in coastal communities and raised their kids in a healthy outdoor lifestyle far from the city lights.It was a lifestyle choice .They made a good living for themselves and their communities. It’s all gone now,the big commercial interests are supported by fish farms and seiners ,the little guy is gone.Now its our turn...I’m not even sure if there is the political will to bring the recreational salmon fishery back....they did it south of the line by massive stream enhancement and hatcheries ( which we depend on, a tissue collection off sooke proved we were catching American fish ) meanwhile the Canadian government said ‘we were going a ‘diferent route’- the ‘wild salmon’,which basically said we were going to do nothing ,and guess what we got? Now that the fishery has collapsed,they finally say they are going to do what we said we needed all along,hatcheries, stream rehabilitations;and preditor controll ...gee whiz,now they tell us..

won’t bring back the salmon, but this is an election year, if you do nothing else ,make your voice heard and VOTE
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-06-2019 at 02:40 PM.