Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jobs jobs jobs-do the numbers...

Re: Jobs jobs jobs-do the numbers...

I’m 72 and while never fished commercially,knew people who did.Trollers were independent guys who lived in coastal communities and raised their kids in a healthy outdoor lifestyle far from the city lights.It was a lifestyle choice .They made a good living for themselves and their communities. It’s all gone now,the big commercial interests are supported by fish farms and seiners ,the little guy is gone.Now its our turn...I’m not even sure if there is the political will to bring the recreational salmon fishery back....they did it south of the line by massive stream enhancement and hatcheries ( which we depend on, a tissue collection off sooke proved we were catching American fish ) meanwhile the Canadian government said ‘we were going a ‘diferent route’- the ‘wild salmon’,which basically said we were going to do nothing ,and guess what we got? Now that the fishery has collapsed,they finally say they are going to do what we said we needed all along,hatcheries, stream rehabilitations;and preditor controll ...gee whiz,now they tell us..

And even if they did bring it back, it will be years,maybe decades , how many sports guides can wait out the lean years? I know one thing for sure and that is I won’t be around to see it..

So what of the NETS that these fish are going to get caught in? If the salmon are that dire then ALL nets should be banned and hook and line the only way to catch fish.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeleco View Post
    So what of the NETS that these fish are going to get caught in? If the salmon are that dire then ALL nets should be banned and hook and line the only way to catch fish.
    My first thread I ever posted on HBC was “ Ban all nets, hook and line only” I was shot down pretty hard for starting a thread like that. But here we are years later..........
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...Nets+hook+line
    Last edited by Spy; 05-06-2019 at 04:06 PM.

while the government ‘studied ‘ it.
    If the government studied it. It's going to get screwed up when they try to fix it.

The commercial troll fishery produced the highest quality of fish,so if you’re looking for maximum dollar benefit from the species,it only makes sense to catch them for that.Actualy, fish traps were probably best of all, they could brail bi catch without injury

The question is WHAT nets will these fish be caught in? there is no commercial net fishery for Fraser River chinook.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    The question is WHAT nets will these fish be caught in? there is no commercial net fishery for Fraser River chinook.
    How many are "by catch" anywhere along the coast?
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

How many are "by catch" anywhere along the coast?
    As there is no gillnet or seine fishing along the coast where Fraser River chinook migrate except for Johnstone Strait every four years during a dominant sockeye run for several weeks, and perhaps one or two openings for fall chums occasionally, hardly any.