Thread: Lots of chickens drumming.

Lots of chickens drumming.

In the past few weeks of shed hunting, scouting and fishing, I have seen loads of ruffies and spruce, it was an easy winter in the loops, low snow, lots of clear weather and and early melt hopefully making for a good nesting season. I talked to some buddies through out the lower half of the province and all round in agreement. Lots of blues, ruffies, spruce are always there. Even seen chukars in an area never before seen much closer to home. Who else is hearing the chickens doin their thaaaaang. Im stoked, I was planning on a big wing shooting season as the dog has been excellent in training upland and ducks, even borrowed a buddies old bow to get a few more days in deer hunting pre birdo season. Any one else seein lots of birds? Anyone know of some quail or pheasant that need thinning out? maybe a himalayan snow cock or two?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lots of chickens drumming.

Have seen more grouse this spring than my first two hunting here.. and in spots I had not seen them before, even though I hunted the area frequently.

Yes have seen quite a few and hearing lots of their mating music - wings thumping on their chests...

Driving home tonight on a main road had a ruffy do a fly by at mach chicken. Off a high bank angled crossing of the road nearly ran into the side of the truck but swung low and paralleled me, clocked at 75kmh!!!! damn fast chicken. They cruise when they come off the high banks in the morning and evening, seen some blues I bet were even faster. Love them dumb birds.

Just got back from the cabin in 6-04, was drumming 24/7
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

I'm hearing a little bit of drumming but less than usual in my go to pockets in Region 2 and haven't seen any. I did have one or two flush from near by. This is just one little pocket though, could be a bunch in other areas near by.

Four days of bear hunting on north and south Vancouver Island. I have never seen as many birds as this spring. Lots of blues.
    Also elk everywhere we went. Even the deer numbers seem to be improving.

Spent the May long weekend around my old home town, 7-2 and 7-4. We were driving along a spur fairly high up, around 4000ft, when my 9 year old daughter blurts out "Dad there's a turkey!" Needless to say there are no turkeys there haha...but what it ended up being was a male blue grouse in full mating strut. I've only ever seen a handful of blues as it is and never one all pumped up like this guy was. Was pretty cool to see for sure.

Birds are still out there drumming but not seeing as many clutches of chicks as expected. Still seeing a few birds but have yet to see many moms with chicks. It was a wet and cold start to the summer after a really warm spring but we shall see what the season holds for us.

^^^im seeing quite a few chicks with hens fortunately...