Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boats for sale

Boats for sale

I am starting to see typical recreational salmon fishing boats( 16-20’) come up for sale at bargain prices ,a fraction of the replacement cost.....package deals of boat,motor,kicker,downriggers,depth sounders,fishing rods and nets...pretty obvious,the poor guy decided the cost of owning and maintains a boat simply wasn’t justified for 6 to 8 weeks fishing a year ...and for every guy selling up his equipment,think of all the business’ that have to be there to support the recreational salmon fisherman...think about that next time you see Justin’s smiling face talking about ‘jobs ,jobs ,jobs....

the galling part is we all saw this coming,volunteers were doing what they could to support viable stream enhancement,pen raising smolts to put into the system,while the DFO ‘studied it’ just like they did the eastern cod fishery...they still could restore the salmon ,but only with a massive enhancemet hatchery program,proper forestry practices to ensure viable spawning habitat ,preditor control and restricting FN to subsistence fishing on runs that can sustain it ( no selling )which is what should have been in place all along...in the meantime there’s a lot of business’ that will close down
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-04-2019 at 02:44 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Boats for sale

I was out at dawn fishing of the beach in Sooke Basin. Weird to not see the usual buzz of boats headed out. Friggin seals everywhere! Good thing I didn't hook anything as it would have been taken. I suspect the seal population here is in for a crash. They were hungry and getting uncomfortably close to my dog. Today I saw no trout, where I usually do. Only a few crabs and not the usual hoards of salmon fry. I suspect the low water of this winter/spring hit the naturally spawning salmon hard.

Yup,every morning there was a parade of boats heading out sooke harbour around the point and fanning out to either church rock,the bluffs or heading for Otter Point. Many a morning the dawn would show at least 100 boats out for the early bite. Not sure if we will ever see those days again,a tribute to gross mismanagement by the DFO. A whole way of coastal life wiped out.And whats worse is there seems to be no political will to change it
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 05-04-2019 at 07:46 PM.

KILL the Seals ! jmo RJ

Maybe the indians should start eating seals. The eskimo do it.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

FN have a proposal to harvest seals as we speak...it is part of their tradition and I wholeheartedly support it.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    FN have a proposal to harvest seals as we speak...it is part of their tradition and I wholeheartedly support it.
    That would be a GOOD thing ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Absolutely and I want to join in.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Seal was an integral part of coastal FN diet and villages harvesting them kept the numbers in check...not rocket science, take away that as well as the bounty and the seal population exploded..what we need to do us restore the natural balance and ignore the politically correct protestors who think seals are ‘cute’

"We make curry out of everything so I thought seal is an interesting meat to work with because it has its own flavour.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ruck-1.5121859
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole