Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Thanks. Too far from the border.
    You must be somewhere in the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    The majority of bird dog owners I've spoken to in the States who hunt and train their dogs hard feed their dogs PPP 30/20. I don't think they carry that one up here in Canada,,,,maybe they have one that has the same ratio of protein to fat, though. I noticed it has a lot of corn meal in it but I have yet to find an owner whose say their dog doesn't thrive on it.
    That is Purina ProPlan Sport …. used to be called Performance and is available in Canada. Have fed for over 15 years …. healthy dogs, good coats, small stools.
    NMH GMH GMHR-V HRCH-UH Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    GHRCH-UH MHR-I Dakota Creek's Royal Gem MH
    MHR HRCH-UH WR Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc MH
    WR SR-UH Dakota Creek's Cute As A Bug JH WC
    SHR Dakota Creek’s Mirror Image JH

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota Creek View Post
    That is Purina ProPlan Sport …. used to be called Performance and is available in Canada. Have fed for over 15 years …. healthy dogs, good coats, small stools.
    What breed of dog are you running?

New FDA report is out for anyone interested

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...rQIPmmWAU#diet

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    New FDA report is out for anyone interested

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinar...rQIPmmWAU#diet
    Saw this as well today on a FB page. Neither my breed (WPG) or kibble brand (Victor) managed to get a single vote so no worries here. Sounds like a male golden retriever on Acana grain free kibble is not a good combo to have!

Started Jess on PPP Sport today " mixing it 50/50 with that last probably 5 days worth of PPP large breed puppy.
    I'll monitor her weight, stool, coat and general health closely and watch for any subtle changes(good or bad) .

She's currently 68 pounds and I don't see her full adult healthy weight being much more that about 75 #. I'd like to keep her on the lean side though.
    Will be starting at 1 1/2 cups per feeding.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-28-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Started Jess on PPP Sport today " mixing it 50/50 with that last probably 5 days worth of PPP large breed puppy.
    I'll monitor her weight, stool, coat and general health closely and watch for any subtle changes(good or bad) .

She's currently 68 pounds and I don't see her full adult healthy weight being much more that about 75 #. I'd like to keep her on the lean side though.
    Will be starting at 1 1/2 cups per feeding.
    If I ever move away from the coast and no longer have easy access to the States to pick up the Victor Hi Pro+ I'll be making the switch to PPP myself. Sure is a lot of bird dog people in the States using the PPP Sport with good results.

I made the switch to Victor Hi Pro+ a short while back based on some very positive reports. Sako is on her second 40 lb. bag and I thought she was doing really well on it. Plenty of energy and much smaller, always solid poops. Sako has done well on any brand of kibble I've given her but maybe that's because she doesn't have a sensitive gut, skin issues, or any allergies. I made the switch mostly because I didn't like the idea of feeding her brands of kibble that were grain-free because of the MCD scare.

And even though Victor products aren't on the culprit list for kibbles causing this disease I've now found out from other past users that the Victor products aren't near as good as they once were. Dog owners would all rave about the product which is why I made the switch from grain-free kibbles but now the company has recently changed the formula and some of the ingredients in it are questionable. I guess there's been enough complaints that the company is offering buyers their money back. Haven't heard of any recalls, though.

Looks like it's onto Plan B. The next bag of kibble I purchase will be PPP 30/20,,,,,, or Sport which I believe is what the Canadian market calls it. At least PPP is available up here in Canada unlike the Victor products. Still, if it's cheaper in the States I might still pop down across the border to pick it up if it's easier on the pocket book. Can also fill up on gas which is DEFINITELY a whole cheaper down there. LOL

There is important write up on today's CBC about grain free dog food and associated canine heart disease. Acana is on the top of potential culprits.

Here's something else for you people to digest:

HealthFDA names 16 dog-food brands with potential link to canine heart disease

[COLOR=var(--dark-text-on-default-color, #000) ]Social Sharing

• Facebook

• Twitter

• Reddit

• LinkedIn

• Pinterest

[/COLOR]
    Vast majority of product labels indicated foods were 'grain free' or contained peas and lentils

CBC News · Posted: Jul 04, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: an hour ago

Rocket, a Bernese mountain-Rottweiler mix who lives in Toronto, eats grain-free dog food, his owner says. (Tina Mackenzie/CBC)427
    comments

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has identified 16 brands of dog foods — the majority of them labelled "grain free" — that it says are most frequently associated with a potentially deadly canine heart condition.
    Canine dilated cardiomyopathy, or DCM, is a disease that causes the muscle wall of a dog's heart to thin, weakening the organ and making it harder to pump blood. Congestive heart failure, a buildup of fluid in the chest and abdomen, can result. Affected dogs may seem tired, lose weight and suddenly collapse.
    The FDA's ongoing investigation into a "potential connection between certain diets and cases of canine heart disease" focused on 515 reports of DCM in dogs received between Jan. 1, 2014 and April 30.

Of the dog-food brands on the FDA's list, 91 per cent of the products were labelled grain-free (did not contain corn, soy, wheat, rice, barley or other grains), while 93 per cent contained peas, lentils (including chickpeas and beans), or potatoes (including sweet potatoes).
    The brands identified include:

• Acana.
    • Zignature.
    • Taste of the Wild.
    • 4Health.
    • Earthborn Holistic.
    • Blue Buffalo.
    • Nature's Domain.
    • Fromm.
    • Merrick.
    • California Natural.
    • Natural Balance.
    • Orijen.
    • Nature's Variety.
    • NutriSource.
    • Nutro.
    • Rachael Ray Nutrish.

The products are sold online and many are available in stores in Canada.
    The FDA first alerted the public it was probing a potential link between diet and DCM in July 2018, noting that the agency was receiving reports associated with breeds not typically prone to the disease.
    Genetic predisposition

The underlying cause of DCM isn't known, though it is thought to have a genetic component.
    Large and giant breeds, such as Great Danes, Doberman pinschers or Irish wolfhounds, are typically more frequently at risk. But in the FDA's report, smaller breeds, such as Shih Tzu, Jack Russell terrier and pug, were also among those with more than one reported case of DCM.
    Dr. Ted Morris, a veterinarian with the Toronto-based Bloor Animal Hospital, says he's had more concerned dog owners calling since the findings were released.
    "It's a lot of people just terrified of what they're feeding their dog," he said. "[They're asking] 'Am I killing my dog?'"

A lot of people-based trends, like low-carb diets, move over into the animal world, according to veterinarian Dr. Ted Morris. (Melanie Glanz/CBC)
    Many of the signs of heart disease in dogs match those of a canine that is hot, such as panting and looking tired, said Morris. The FDA's findings also coincide with the summer's rising temperatures.
    Morris believes the popularity of grain-free feed for dogs comes from people who want their dogs to eat like they do.
    "A lot of people trends will end up moving over into the animal world," he said. "So all the low-carb diets… [People think] 'Oh if it's good for me, it's got to be good for my dog.'"

Dr. Sarah Dodd, a veterinarian and researcher at the University of Guelph, studies the suitability of plant-based dog food given to animals for maintenance. The only regulation we have in Canada around pet food relates to labelling, she said, as opposed to rules around nutrient content.
    "You could put anything in a bag and call it dog food, as long as your manufacturing and contact details are on the bag," she said.
    While industry regulations for the nutrition of pet food in Canada is voluntary, Dodd said feed sold in the U.S. must meet American standards.
    Exact link between diet, DCM unclear

In its latest report, the FDA said it doesn't yet know how certain diets may be associated with DCM in dogs.
    "In the case of DCM, the agency has an obligation to be transparent with the pet-owning public regarding the frequency with which certain brands have been reported," the U.S. agency said.
    Two of the brands on the FDA's list, Acana and Orijen, are manufactured in both Canada and the U.S. by Champion Petfoods. In a FAQ posted to its website, the company said that the FDA "provides no causative scientific link between DCM and our products, ingredients or grain-free diets as a whole."
    "We think it is misleading for the FDA to post the names of brands, while at the same time fully stating that they have no scientific evidence linking diet to DCM," Champion also said.

The majority of the brands identified by the FDA were labelled as 'grain free.' (Franck Prevel/Getty Images)
    At a dog park in Toronto, Alex Richardson learned he's been feeding a grain-free product on the FDA list to his dog, Rocket, a Bernese mountain-Rottweiler mix.
    "I haven't seen any trouble with him," Richardson said. "The food that they gave us from the OSPCA, where we adopted him, we switched it out because it was full of grains."
    Richardson said he thought he was doing the right thing, but said he plans to look into his dog's diet some more.
    Both Morris and Dodd advise pet owners to talk to a veterinarian about their dogs' diets, saying owners should be giving dogs a balanced diet suited to the individual animal.
    "One of the things that I've always told clients … if you're concerned about what you're feeding your dog, mix it up," Morris said. That way, he said, the chance of facing a nutritional imbalance is reduced.
    The FDA also received nine reports of DCM in cats, but noted in its report that cats "are generally more likely" to develop heart disease.

[IMG]https://thumbnails.cbc.ca/maven_legacy/thumbnails/527/863/dog-food-heart-disease-link-roussy-030719.jpg?downsize=1280px:*[/IMG]

The National
    Why your dog's grain-free diet might not be as healthy as you think

WATCH

00:00 02:02

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has put out a list of 16 pet food brands that could be linked to potentially deadly heart disease. 2:02

"Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"