Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

I fed Performatrin Large breed puppy for the past year for my black lab female. She's a year old today and we'll be looking at switching her to an adult food. I've heard and read some pretty decent things about the Canadian Naturals so may give it a shot as I like what the ingredient list looks like and seems well priced for what looks to be a good performing food.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Absolutely nothing that comes from Purina should ever be eaten by your pet. Let alone a working dog.

5 years management experience in the pet industry and pet nutrition experience and training allows me to say this with 100 percent confidence.

If you feed your dog a Purina product, you shouldn't own a dog.
    what about the 30 dollar XL bag of pedigree? They have good commercials on tv.

I am switching from puppy to adult food ( PPP Sport) when my girl is done her current bag. I do so on the recommendation of many including a couple breeders who compete with their working dogs.

Like anything, you can read so many contradicting articles on every subject known to man on the internet, and it can be overwhelming. To be honest, I got sick of wading through it, one site says A, another says B. One study says this, another says that.......

If the people I spoke to ( who care deeply for the health and welfare of their dogs) are happy feeding this food, then that works for me.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 06-24-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Just remember Ron dogs are individuals and react to food differently. I currently have 6 in the kennel. I am feeding 3 types of food as not all do well on the main food I use. I have 4 on Canadian Natural, 1 on some type of low fat food and 1 on Now with blue mussel. Listening to recomenditions is a good place to start but let your dog be you barometer.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Listening to recomenditions is a good place to start but let your dog be you barometer.
    No argument here. Doesn't seem to matter what aspect of dog training I learn about, always seems to revolve back to knowing how to read your dog and taking the appropriate reaction.

On my second 40 lb. bag of Victor Hi Pro +. I'm feeding my 2 1/2 yr. old female twice a day,,,,,,equal amounts (1 1/3 c. each meal). It has the highest k/cal content of any of the others I've tried before (450 k/cal. per cup). My griff's poops are always really firm, they're smaller in diameter, and there's less of it so it appears there isn't much filler in this kibble. The dog is utilizing the ingredients well, so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    On my second 40 lb. bag of Victor Hi Pro +. I'm feeding my 2 1/2 yr. old female twice a day,,,,,,equal amounts (1 1/3 c. each meal). It has the highest k/cal content of any of the others I've tried before (450 k/cal. per cup). My griff's poops are always really firm, they're smaller in diameter, and there's less of it so it appears there isn't much filler in this kibble. The dog is utilizing the ingredients well, so it seems.
    Where are you getting Victor from?

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    I couldn't find any retailers shipping to Canada, it seems guys are shipping to a US pick up service, and driving across the border
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    I've been buying it from Chewy and having it sent to a shipping depot in Blaine which takes me just over a half hour to get there. It lasts about 6 weeks and probably works out to about $80 which includes my shipping depot fee ($52 USD),,,,so about 2 bucks per pound. Pretty sure it's not available in BC, unfortunately.

Where are you located?

Thanks. Too far from the border.