Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    These kibbles that are recommended here must be a Canadian list because the two most fed kibbles for versatiles who hunt, do field trails, and hunt tests aren't even mentioned,,,,PPP 30/20 and Victor High Pro+. As far as I know neither of these are available in Canada.
    PPP 30/20 is now called Purina Sport and is available at PetSmart.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Not particularly a hunting dog in my case but I did quite a bit of research on food for our Catahoula pup as we're talking high energy off the charts here. She came from herding lineage although they're used for hog hunting in the deep south a lot. Anyways I read quite a few reviews that included tests, composition analysis, QC analysis and on and on. Kirkland didn't come out the best but they were right near the top consistently and a lot better than a lot of brands twice the price and full of hype, vet and breeder quotes. They have a few types we use the blue bag which is salmon based, both the Catahoula and the lap dog love it. Last vet check at about 16 months the vet declared the pup in excellent health with outstanding musculature, she made a real point out of that. Works for me.
    Last edited by Salty; 05-05-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

My adult and puppy are both on Acana right now and do great on it. I am thinking of switching to the Kirkland Natures domain when they are both on adult food. Its made by Taste of the wild. Great dog food and way cheaper than what I pay now

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    PPP 30/20 is now called Purina Sport and is available at PetSmart.
    Absolutely nothing that comes from Purina should ever be eaten by your pet. Let alone a working dog.

5 years management experience in the pet industry and pet nutrition experience and training allows me to say this with 100 percent confidence.

If you feed your dog a Purina product, you shouldn't own a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    We fed Kirkland for years, then our dogs started loosing condition and blowing coat. I did some research and found that "House Brands" award the contract to different manufactures. They changed suppliers when the previous contract ran out. If you are feeding any house brand(Kirkland, Presidents Choice, Western Family, etc) watch your dogs closely and if they start showing signs of weight loss etc, the odds are the company has changed suppliers.
    And this happens to all house brand products. In my line of work we see a lot of infections and crap with people in house brand contact lens solutions

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Absolutely nothing that comes from Purina should ever be eaten by your pet. Let alone a working dog.

5 years management experience in the pet industry and pet nutrition experience and training allows me to say this with 100 percent confidence.

so many things to say......
    what if your dog has an allergy and Purinas hydrolized is the only dog food that doesn't make him break out? and that food was recommended to me by THE VET! by their nutritionist.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post

We don't feed Purina but I wonder if you could expand on the reasoning behind your statements?
    Not disagreeing with you, just looking for some reasons.
    Thanks.

One website that vets and nutritionists use a lot is https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
    Typically Purina rates low to medium with most of their foods. That being said..... I know a few champion kennels that use Purina for years and love it.

Dog food..... dog breeds....... kinda like a Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs Ram thread lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
    Dog food..... dog breeds....... kinda like a Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs Ram thread lmao
    Maybe tell that to all the people whose dogs died an early death due to the "grain free" fad that unknowing and well intentioned consumers bought into.

These fad diets have caused immeasurable harm to dogs and the people who own and care about them.

Most Pro Retriever trainers that I know feed Purina PPP Sport because of the available science around canine nutrition. These are active canine athletes they're feeding that require proper nutrition to optimize performance and stamina.

Screw what all these dipshit websites that evaluate dog food say. Most of them are sponsored by specific dog food companies so the results are totally biased and skewed.

PS...there is NOTHING wrong with corn as a protein base when it is combined with certain micronutrients to achieve optimum bioavailability.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"