Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    I feed my lab Acana and rotate through the bags for variety of nutrients that might be lacking in feeding the same thing forever. Had her on nutro but her coat wasn't shiny and she wasn't putting on weight as a puppy feeding double the recommended, shes 55 pounds of pure muscle and energy now. Acana is more expensive yes, but her coat, muscles and energy levels are off the charts. We train every day and she still wants more. I feed her 1.5 cups twice a day, she has no fat on her but you can see every muscle group on her and her energy is high. I give her a beef marrow bone to add some fat to her diet but cant get any more squish to her shes just too active. She doesn't have the lab eat everything drive, I can leave my steak dinner in front of her and she wont touch it as she has never had a taste of human food ever and never ever will. She eats her Acana food and loves it, loves her treats but wasnt fond of nutro or another cheaper brand I had when I ran out at a friends.

Ive heard the costco is good food sure, will it be good, most likely. I choose acana becuase I know where the ingredients are coming from and its support for local Canadian economies and farmers, Canada is something I support in my daily economic habits so why not include that in my dog food choice.
    I fed acana for years. I now feed Purina sport. There is lots of fairly new science coming out regarding heart disease ( taurine deficiency- DCM) in larger breed dogs that are on grain free diets and acana is by far the #1 fed dog food in these cases. I would consider switching.

Here is link, there are many out there.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2018/07/09/link-between-dog-food-taurine-deficiency-and-dcm.aspx

Lorne
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 05-03-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

First Mate High Performance 32:20

https://firstmate.com/product/classi...h-performance/

On a hard week of hunting my hounds will put on well over 100kms a week in the dirt. Less in winter but burn just as many or more calories.
    Ive gone from mid range to extreme high end on many kinds and for a few years now seem to see no holes in consistency and direct results (performance)
    They get in shape quicker after the off season and maintain longer and require less to do both than many I’ve tried.
    The quality of your dog food is often seen in how well your dogs “keep” both in and out of season. Always having 6+ Dogs I’ve had every chance to critique for many different sizes/builds and once I determine what each dog needs they’ve all been very happy. 2 ish pallets a year and never had a bad bag or poor feeding reaction.
    That being said, This food is not for dogs involved in less than regular above average exertion and “lazy” inaccurate feeding will make them fat fast (like when you’re gone for two weeks and someone says I gave them what you told me to... well maybe a little bit more but it didn’t seem like enough”)

For a reg dog My 70lb lab gets 1 - 1 1/8 cups per day total split in half and he’s got more bounce than a wasp in a jam jar
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 05-03-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

The Costco Kirkland brand chicken and rice formula keeps her healthy and active 40 bucks for 40 pounds.

Interesting read Lorneparker1. I will look more into it but the journal articles provided state the facts well, That one type of Acana (pork squash- a one protein food for dogs with sensitive diets) was the problem in the study with golden retrievers. Acana lists their ingredients online and on the bag. By rotating through the 4 regionals, it diversifies the diet as mentioned before, all containing a variety of proteins each with a different base, fish, chicken, beef. Looking at the listed ingredients of each bag of the regionals they all contain the amino acids required for dogs to synthesize taurine in their liver (Cysteine and Methionine) which many dog foods dont list or include, as well as natural sources of proteins that include taurine. One bag diets are often limited and often cause problems for a variety of reasons. The grain free foods mentioned and their effect on taurine production and absorption brings up interesting questions that I will look into further.

Quote Originally Posted by E.B. View Post
    The Costco Kirkland brand chicken and rice formula keeps her healthy and active 40 bucks for 40 pounds.
    We fed Kirkland for years, then our dogs started loosing condition and blowing coat. I did some research and found that "House Brands" award the contract to different manufactures. They changed suppliers when the previous contract ran out. If you are feeding any house brand(Kirkland, Presidents Choice, Western Family, etc) watch your dogs closely and if they start showing signs of weight loss etc, the odds are the company has changed suppliers.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

May be a different supplier but the recipe doesn't change
    Have been free-choice feeding Kirkland chicken/rice for years and several GShepherds , they all seem to do well. Current oldest is turning 10, getting ancient for a GS
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

No the recipe doesn't change but quality control does. Believe me it can make a huge difference in condition. But to each their own.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Right??? Which one of us hasn't been there? Even a tampon string a time or two.
    One morning early I let the dog out to do his business. I was standing there, enjoying my coffee and waking up, when I noticed my Brittany squatting and looking over his shoulder at me at me in WTF? kind of way. It then struck me what appeared to be his guts were coming out. Alarmed, I ran over to see what was going on. Turns out it was a used condom. Brutal. Never looked at my neighbour the same way after that.

Just so I don’t go too far off topic, mine gets Acana Yorkshire Pork or other single ingredient, non grain, flavour. I switched when vet advised his recurring ear infections may be due to grain in his diet. Seems to work well and no infections since though is mind numbingly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    I rotate between 3-4 bags of the ones I can get from this list

https://cdn.whole-dog-journal.com/me...ryDogFoods.pdf
    These kibbles that are recommended here must be a Canadian list because the two most fed kibbles for versatiles who hunt, do field trails, and hunt tests aren't even mentioned,,,,PPP 30/20 and Victor High Pro+. As far as I know neither of these are available in Canada.

Bottom line is let your dog be your barometer if you are feeding something they do well on keep with it.
    "BORN TO HUNT"