Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

I'm curious to what brand of kibble you feed your bird dog? And how much it works out to per pound?

Now that there's been all this information about certain breeds of dog being susceptible to heart a condition (MCD) because they're being fed grain free kibble I've made the switch to a kibble I've been getting out of the States called Victor High Pro+. It's a 30% protein/20% fat blend. 450 calories per cup which is about 50 cal/cup more than any of the others I was giving her. 40 pound bag costs $80 Cdn which includes my shipping depot fee,,,,,works out to ($2.00 per pound).

My female griff weighs in at 48-49 pounds. I give her just over 2 1/2 c. per day, fed over two meals,,,, plus she gets training treats every day. I figure she needs about 12-1300 calories per day to maintain her body weight.

My griff enjoys any type of food I give her but she seems to be doing well on this first bag. Her poops are definitely smaller compared to other brands I've tried.

0-44 by Brent Davy, on Flickr

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

I feed my GSP a brand called TLC, that was recommended by the breeder. Did some research and it has some good reviews on its nutritional value. She gets around 1.5 cups twice a day.

TLC also delivers to the door for free which is great.

My lab gets 1 3/4 cups of Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy twice a day. She just turned a year old last week and is 65# and looks very good weight wise. Nice shiny coat, and consistent solid stools. My problem isn't what I know I am feeding her it's the crap she tries to inhale on her own
    Last edited by Ron.C; 05-03-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Check out the Kirkland brand from Costco. A few different flavours to choose from. We were using Arcana and one other ridiculously expensive brand until a good friend (Post-doc degree in Vet Science) told us to quit wasting our money and to buy the Costco food. That was about 5 years ago and no complaints.

Of course, the dogs mix in some garbage, or unattended leftovers, or the odd chicken carcass, just for variety.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Just remember to take the string off the chicken carcass BEFORE you give it to the dog.

'Dexter what the hell is that you got hanging out of your...oh geez!"
    Your account has been banned permanently. Reason: Your account has been blocked due to comments that could be construed as hate speech. For more information, please visit: http://cbc.ca/submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
    Just remember to take the string off the chicken carcass BEFORE you give it to the dog.

'Dexter what the hell is that you got hanging out of your...oh geez!"
    Right??? Which one of us hasn't been there? Even a tampon string a time or two.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I feed my lab Acana and rotate through the bags for variety of nutrients that might be lacking in feeding the same thing forever. Had her on nutro but her coat wasn't shiny and she wasn't putting on weight as a puppy feeding double the recommended, shes 55 pounds of pure muscle and energy now. Acana is more expensive yes, but her coat, muscles and energy levels are off the charts. We train every day and she still wants more. I feed her 1.5 cups twice a day, she has no fat on her but you can see every muscle group on her and her energy is high. I give her a beef marrow bone to add some fat to her diet but cant get any more squish to her shes just too active. She doesn't have the lab eat everything drive, I can leave my steak dinner in front of her and she wont touch it as she has never had a taste of human food ever and never ever will. She eats her Acana food and loves it, loves her treats but wasnt fond of nutro or another cheaper brand I had when I ran out at a friends.

Ive heard the costco is good food sure, will it be good, most likely. I choose acana becuase I know where the ingredients are coming from and its support for local Canadian economies and farmers, Canada is something I support in my daily economic habits so why not include that in my dog food choice.

I've been feeding this to my GSP and he seems to...tolerate it.
    (He wolfs it down when I augment it with a little bit of whatever we're having. Go figure)

Your account has been banned permanently. Reason: Your account has been blocked due to comments that could be construed as hate speech. For more information, please visit: http://cbc.ca/submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    My lab gets 1 3/4 cups of Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy twice a day. She just turned a year old last week and is 65# and looks very good weight wise. Nice shiny coat, and consistent solid stools. My problem isn't what I know I am feeding her it's the crap she tries to inhale on her own
    The majority of bird dog owners I've spoken to in the States who hunt and train their dogs hard feed their dogs PPP 30/20. I don't think they carry that one up here in Canada,,,,maybe they have one that has the same ratio of protein to fat, though. I noticed it has a lot of corn meal in it but I have yet to find an owner whose say their dog doesn't thrive on it.

Firstblood,,,,,I tried Acana for a couple of bags. My dog did absolutely fine on it but her poops, while solid, were huge. It must have stuff or filler in it that my pup didn't use or need. It's pricey stuff.

Another vote for Canadian Natural. My working dogs get that once a day, amount depends on the dog. My older dogs ( over 8 ) get Now, Adult with blue mussel and we also give them Recovery daily and our one spaniel who had pancreatitis gets a special "Low Fat" food.

One of our Spaniels in working condition on Canadian Natural

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.