Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Thanks for posting LG.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

What brand of kibble are your dogs on, Labguy? Still trying to figure out if i should make the switch to PPP Sport (a 30/20 blend) or stick with the Victor, also a 30/20 blend but had a change in the recipe that some folks are complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    What brand of kibble are your dogs on, Labguy? Still trying to figure out if i should make the switch to PPP Sport (a 30/20 blend) or stick with the Victor, also a 30/20 blend but had a change in the recipe that some folks are complaining about.
    PPP Sport 30/20.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    PPP Sport 30/20.
    I should qualify this. The dogs I'm feeding are vigorously trained 4 to 6 times a week. With that level of physical exertion the above food is suitable.

I certainly wouldn't feed a high protein high/high fat diet to a dog who doesn't exercise as much.

I should qualify this. The dogs I'm feeding are vigorously trained 4 to 6 times a week. With that level of physical exertion the above food is suitable.

I certainly wouldn't feed a high protein high/high fat diet to a dog who doesn't exercise as much.
    My griff is fine with that blend (30/20) because that's what she's been on for awhile, just a different brand but for others who have dogs that aren't as active I've been told PPP also has a 28/16 blend. Some hunters/hunt test guys put their dogs on it during the winter months.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    These links you provided are opinions that are subjective (meaning biased) from sources with ZERO credibility. They are simply articles. The first link is a blog for phouck sake. The second link is from a pet food supplier who sells the dog foods listed as suspect.

Do you seriously think these are credible opinions worthy of reposting????

When you come up with something believable to refute the USFDA's findings then fly at it. In the meantime there is plenty of nonsense on the internet already without copy and pasting links like this that have absolutely NO validity written by people with a clear bias.

I feed all my dogs GO Salmon limited ingredient,before their limited ingredient line,I fed GO salmon. I will change it up and feed their venison or duck occasionally. I’ve been feeding this brand for about 15 years now. I’ve tried other brands but have always come back. The salmon limited ingredient food they make is fantastic for both coats and joints. Highly recommendable

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Yes I feed GO! as well, the dogs do well on it.

Labguy I didn't think you'd like those articles mentioning your beloved purina.
    Here are a couple more good articles for you:

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-up...-a-few-things/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crit...Administration
    Any anti social, dip shit, living in his parents basement, can write whatever they want on the internet and make it sound credible. Much like the links you've posted.

You don't seem to understand that there is no end of articles on the internet to support whatever preconceived ding bat belief one may have. Doesn't make them accurate, credible or scientific.

And....it's not my beloved Purina. I don't give a shit about Purina or any other dog food company. I made my choices based on advice from a research scientist who spent his entire professional career researching animal nutrition.

This is one of the major problems with the internet. People glom onto articles that support their beliefs and take it as gospel because they are too insecure to admit that some of their previous thinking might be suspect.

Huntingfamily, when you can offer something CREDIBLE to refute the findings of the USFDA, please post them up.

Im done engaging with you on this topic. It's your dog, do whatever you want but please don't try to sway people's opinions by posting links from suspect and uncredible sources. It's not fair to the dogs.

And WTH does " doing well on it" really mean. You can't see what's going on inside your dog. A friends 4 year old Lab was "doing well" up until the day it fell over and died from heart failure.

Any anti social, dip shit, living in his parents basement, can write whatever they want on the internet and make it sound credible. Much like the links you've posted.

You don't seem to understand that there is no end of articles on the internet to support whatever preconceived ding bat belief one may have. Doesn't make them accurate, credible or scientific.
    Even that HUGE site called Dog Food Advisor: Reviews and Ratings that everyone seems to think is gospel is written by a retired dentist with no scientific dog nutrition background from what I've heard.

Labguy,,,are you a once a day feeder, or twice a day?
    Last edited by mastercaster; 07-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    Even that HUGE site called Dog Food Advisor: Reviews and Ratings that everyone seems to think is gospel is written by a retired dentist with no scientific dog nutrition background from what I've heard.

Labguy,,,are you a once a day feeder, or twice a day?
    Once a day in the eveing based in part on this article written by probably the most respected professional Retriever trainer in the world and backed by scientific research. Definitely worth a read.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documen...erformance.pdf

One of the problems debating dog food brands, when to feed, what to feed etc. is that people tend to anthromorphise. That means ascribing human characteristics to animals. Dogs are not people. They metabolize food completely differently than humans.

It seems to us, being human and wanting the best for our dogs, that because we need to eat three times a day then dogs must be the same. They are not.

I am not going to debate the merits of when to feed but my own observation, (unscientific as they are) based on over 40 years of owning and training multiple dogs and observing dozens of other successful competative Retriever trainers, has shown that once a day feeing in the evening increases the dogs ability to sustain long, intense and stressful physical exertion much better than dogs who are fed two or three times a day.

This seems counterintuitive but has been proven time and time again by better dog men than me.