Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Re: What brand of kibble are you feed ing your hunting dog? Price per pound?

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post

Screw what all these dipshit websites that evaluate dog food say. Most of them are sponsored by specific dog food companies so the results are totally biased and skewed.
    You are correct in a lot of misinformation on websites that are out there. This is not one of them https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/about/

Last time I checked Purina was in a lawsuit that claimed it sickened or killed over 3000 dogs....... compare that to the Grain free fad of 300 If I remember right.

I dont think there is a website out there that we can 100% trust to get all the facts but its the closest one I have found. I am open to suggestions lol
    Last edited by Elkhound; 05-06-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Purina is owned by mega company Nestle. Their bottom line is profit and the ingredients in their food proves it. The reason a lot of people in trials feed proplan is that pp sponsors a lot of these events and offer bags of food and merchandise to give out there. They have breeder specials where they give discounts to breeders which helps push their crap lol. If you want to be like the rest of the sheep, hey it's great stuff.
    Horse poop. All companies, dog food included, main concern is profit. Where do you get this bullshit.....another website??.??

This will be my last post on this because these threads always turn into this nonsense.

My good friend, a retired veterinarian now deceased, spent his entire professional career researching animal nutrition. His conclusions led him to feed his dogs Purina Dog Chow.....the cheap stuff in the green bags you buy in grocery stores.

His conclusions and choices were science based....... and from unbiased scientific research........not from some stupid self promoting dog food website and not from reading the ingredients on a bag of dog food and certainly not opinions from anonymous sources on a hunting website.

And...another FYI, the Pro trainers I know care deeply about the dogs they train and all then promotions and free shit in the world have nothing to do with their decisions on what to feed the animals they care for.

Do whatever you want and believe whatever you want....your life and your dog. I'm out....
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Spent three days wading through the bull and FB garbage so Ill share---The grain free Taurine Deficiency DCM garbage online lately is all based on one facebook group which is absolutely full of misinformation and contradiction. Multiple websites, fb groups and "journal articles" all began from one group of Golden retrievers (under 30 dogs) that experienced DCM after eating a specific diet-ACANA single protein pork and squash designed for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs, they were fed nothing else. Goldens are much more prone to DCM than other breeds, More prone to allergies. Total numbers of what is believed to be "diet related" DCM is under 300 in North america (that study says not enough evidence). Until there is real evidence of legumes being the cause please leave it out of the conversation or provide real scientific evidence.
    Last edited by Firstblood; 05-06-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    I agree totally with Ryotc. If you read how the whole dog journal chooses foods based on the ingredients, you will see that Purina foods use a lot of by-products, fillers and cereals. You really need to learn how to read the ingredients in dog foods and to know what to look for, both good and bad.
    Your dog can be 'maintained' with some foods, but wouldn't you want them to have optimum nutrition? Especially for working dogs.
    As I said, I wasn't disagreeing with him, just interested, based on his stated experience, what the problem(s) with Purina were. We've done pretty well "reading the ingredients" with our dogs coupled with our Daughter's learned advice based on her almost 20 years in animal "sciences." When our eldest dog was recovering from cancer surgery ( she far outlived the Breed expectancy ) we had to be extremely careful about feeding to maintain "optimal nutrition."

I'd say this is the most unbiased article on the DCM-taurine-BEG situation, worth a read for anyone interested

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/fu...ma.253.11.1390
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Quote Originally Posted by BRvalley View Post
    I'd say this is the most unbiased article on the DCM-taurine-BEG situation, worth a read for anyone interested

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/fu...ma.253.11.1390
    Great link. Thanks

Man, I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what I should eat, let alone my elkhound. As a result. We both eat a lot of meat and vegetables, mine cooked, his raw. He is 60lbs of fighting muscle that I can barely hold when he wants to go in his harness.

Glad to hear hes well the_longwalker

From what I have heard and read Purina has spent more time and money than any other dog food company in the last 40 years on research when it comes to nutrition and performance for dogs. I haven't tried the PPP Sport yet but after talking to and reading what's on hunting dog web sites I wouldn't hesitate to try it because it sounds like more owners feed their dogs the PPP 30/20 in the States than all another kibbles out there combined. They are not getting the food for free or a special deal from what I've been told or have read so that question has been asked and answered. They feed their dogs this kibble because they are so happy with their dogs' health and performance out in the field.

Right now I'll stick with Victor High Pro+ (another 30/20 kibble) but I may add in the odd bag of PPP Sport for variety.