Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

Re: "Accompaning" On A Bear HUnt

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    My point was that if you breach any hunting regs then you are "hunting" illegally. To me, "hunting illegally", be it using another person's tag, whatever is "poaching" aka "Hunting illegally. The definition of "hunting" in the Regs is very clear, what I would be doing, i.e. tracking, looking for a bear while carrying a rifle is "hunting." The regs don't deal with intent. I don't want to be out there and a CO hassles us so the $20 tag is money well spent. And who knows, just might shoot a bear.
    I agree and disagree with this. What if you draw a goat tag and you bring a hunting partner who has a rifle incase you see a nice alpine buck on the way up to goat country or a wolf etc. He doesn't need a goat tag and he will be helping you search for, persue and carry the goat out. In your logic he then also needs a goat tag? I doubt any CO would have a problem with that but I do see what you are saying with regards to what the regs actually say.

Good call IG I've bought a few bear tags under similar situations cost of a case of beer or whatever.. not a biggy and I choose to follow all the rules and what ifs as well. Just because. Enjoy the hunt go show them young bucks how its done. lol
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    I agree and disagree with this. What if you draw a goat tag and you bring a hunting partner who has a rifle incase you see a nice alpine buck on the way up to goat country or a wolf etc. He doesn't need a goat tag and he will be helping you search for, persue and carry the goat out. In your logic he then also needs a goat tag? I doubt any CO would have a problem with that but I do see what you are saying with regards to what the regs actually say.
    Totally different scenario that GOS. But I'm sure they'd pack a deer tag right?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Good call IG I've bought a few bear tags under similar situations cost of a case of beer or whatever.. not a biggy and I choose to follow all the rules and what ifs as well. Just because. Enjoy the hunt go show them young bucks how its done. lol
    It's more like let the young bucks show me how to get it done.

haha. What's it like up there IG is it getting pretty green or still shivering from winter

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    haha. What's it like up there IG is it getting pretty green or still shivering from winter
    Had to put down my beer and take a look.
    Snow is almost gone up in the hills, none in Town.
    Has dropped below 0 over night and the early AM walk to the Lake is "invigorating" but the days are pleasant.
    Haven't seen any bear signs so far, Son was up China Creek last week, didn't see much.
    One nice sign ( so far ) is the lack of flooding.
    Last year much of the Town was evacuated and our end was on alert. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Your brother is a bear?
    Does he know of your intent to "take him out"?
    Man, I'd be a tad worried if I were him...

OP - You did the right thing. I pack a handful of tags I may never need, but the cheap insurance is well worth every nickle IMHO.
    Enjoy your trip with your Lad!

Cheers,
    Nog
    Shit Matt, IG is so blind he cant hit the broad side of a barn or stop a beachball Oh and by the sounds of it a tad cheap having to even ask or think about buying a tag....my bet is the son paid for it
    Avatar is for all the conspiracy theory nut bars, for all the crow they have to eat when everything implodes

I've never heard of someone who isn't vaccinated getting polio

Trump will win big time in 2020

Why is it that rednecks from Alberta can't get enough of men in dresses, they simply lose their shit

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    My point was that if you breach any hunting regs then you are "hunting" illegally. To me, "hunting illegally", be it using another person's tag, whatever is "poaching" aka "Hunting illegally. The definition of "hunting" in the Regs is very clear, what I would be doing, i.e. tracking, looking for a bear while carrying a rifle is "hunting." The regs don't deal with intent. I don't want to be out there and a CO hassles us so the $20 tag is money well spent. And who knows, just might shoot a bear.
    Regs don't deal with intent?

This is where your wrong. Mens rea Man!

Some regulations are written intentionally broad, with an intent to be enforced narrowly.

If we were to follow your logic, think of all the little kids hunting illegally with their parents.

You bought a tag, great. But you didn't have to, legally....

Quote Originally Posted by Piperdown View Post
    Shit Matt, IG is so blind he cant hit the broad side of a barn or stop a beachball Oh and by the sounds of it a tad cheap having to even ask or think about buying a tag....my bet is the son paid for it
    Screw you Leaf Licker. I'll have you know that after leading my Team to the "Cup" I was presented with a beach ball to practice with. Practiced with it for years. Shooting, well that's a totally different matter. They don't call me "3 shot" for nothing when I go hunting.
    I bought my own tag - want to surprise the Son when / if I accompany him. Figure he might need the extra "muscle" if he bags a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Regs don't deal with intent?

This is where your wrong. Mens rea Man!
    Some regulations are written intentionally broad, with an intent to be enforced narrowly.
    If we were to follow your logic, think of all the little kids hunting illegally with their parents.
    You bought a tag, great. But you didn't have to, legally....
    Would mens rea apply - it's your duty and obligation to know the Regs when you go hunting, saying you had no intent might not cut it.
    Ignorance may be bliss but it's not a get out of jail free card.
    I agree that the Regs are vague, whether it's deliberate or not is arguable.
    Ultimately, better safe than sorry.