Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Caribou recovery and effective methods to deal with wolves en masse?

Re: Caribou recovery and effective methods to deal with wolves en masse?

Rob,

Look closer at the study you just referenced.

Of the four treatment areas using moose removal, results show a neutral effect on caribou survival.

Up to 80% moose reductions, with associated loss to hunters, for zero net effect towards saving caribou.

Yah, but pull that lever anyways, cause it exists....

I'm reminded of Homer at the control panel during a meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Rob,

Look closer at the study you just referenced.

Of the four treatment areas using moose removal, results show a neutral effect on caribou survival.

Up to 80% moose reductions, with associated loss to hunters, for zero net effect towards saving caribou.

Yah, but pull that lever anyways, cause it exists....

I'm reminded of Homer at the control panel during a meltdown.
    ^^^yup....Ass....in....9. ASININE!! Yet some keep selling the “theory” and worse yet, many keep eating it up.

How many hunters actually hunt for wolves after their freezer has been filled with their favourite game?I don't think very many.Most likely couch potato.
    If most hunters would dedicate time to hunt for wolves like they do to put meat in the freezer it would help reduce the predator population.You can't just hunt the ungulates without hunting the predators to keep a balance.
    I was at a caribou meeting in Valemount and talked to some of the panel members and suggested a $500 bounty on wolves to help control the population.That would give some incentive to get the couch potatoes out in the bush with their calls and road kills to balance the situation.The response was negative.
    I love hunting wolves and coyotes and I do go out in the bush calling and baiting.Last year I got 4 wolves and a couple of coyotes.Some of my neighbours killed wolves too and my trapper friends as well.I hunt the ungulates and the predators.Do you do your part.I know you can't eat them and they stink like hell but it is fun hunting and will make you a better hunter.Wolves are smart.

guest Guest

Xlcc...... Good on you and thanks for your dedication to knocking down some preds.
    I take yotes at every opportunity try to get my fix of spring or fall bear..... But as for wolves......i hope to some day dedicate more time but so far havent had success. Helped a buddy on traplines for cats and dogs but sure would like a big bad wolf.

Another one

Can someone post the name of the person who made that stupidest call/invention to kill moose to save caribou? If there is no moose they will kill anything else to survive or move from that area to another. Only way to remove wolves is bullet , poison or disease..

Quote Originally Posted by drakfero View Post
    Can someone post the name of the person who made that stupidest call/invention to kill moose to save caribou? If there is no moose they will kill anything else to survive or move from that area to another. Only way to remove wolves is bullet , poison or disease..

Well, I could name most of the "biologists" in other Regions … but you can just check the gov't website and find out yourself.

One of them was a famous wolf lover from the North Peace before he got punted our way.

They have spent millions flying caribou in from the Sustut herd to pollute the genetics of the Telkwa Mountains population and, of course, "studying" them and "consulting" with a select few to justify banning motorized use while coddling the backcountry skiers and all the other leaf-lickers. The caribou that did not head directly back to the Sustut did OK for the short time it took for the wolves to figure out the Wildlife Branch was acting like a pizza outlet, delivering fresh food to their door.

As the saying goes "Bureaucrats … you can't live with 'em … pass the beer nuts!"

^^^^^the truth is always the funniest.

Out of curiosity, you say the wolf lovin' Bio was punted "our way" from the North Peace.
    Where exactly is "our way" mean as far as final destination?

Also, care to share the name of this Bio so we all know and become aware of this character?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    ^^^^^the truth is always the funniest.

Out of curiosity, you say the wolf lovin' Bio was punted "our way" from the North Peace.
    Where exactly is "our way" mean as far as final destination?

Also, care to share the name of this Bio so we all know and become aware of this character?
    Google image search John Horgan or maybe Doug Donaldson? While we may not agree with everything our biologists are saying it’s a mistake to think they are calling the shots. We need to be focused on the real problem not the symptoms of it. If we want to change what’s going on it has to start by making politicians believe they will lose votes and their jobs/pension if they don’t stop #%*king around. Just my 2 cents, rant over

Quote Originally Posted by Cabled View Post
    Google image search John Horgan or maybe Doug Donaldson? While we may not agree with everything our biologists are saying it’s a mistake to think they are calling the shots. We need to be focused on the real problem not the symptoms of it. If we want to change what’s going on it has to start by making politicians believe they will lose votes and their jobs/pension if they don’t stop #%*king around. Just my 2 cents, rant over
    I think just about everyone agrees that our politicians have always been the biggest problem.
    I was just curious since the OP was about Caribou-wolf and the subject of removing prey species came
    into it, that I was curious to know which Bio's here in BC support that.

All the government has to do is put money in and also support behind wolf culling and that part of the equation is than solved.