Thread: Anyone use a Bivy Sack?

Anyone use a Bivy Sack?

I am looking into getting a bivy sack. I have a super lightweight tent but looking to go smaller for solo trips. Anyone use one and can give a recommendation? Looking into OR Advanced currently on sale but maybe there is a cheaper option out there that still works?

Does the pole add in terms of comfort or is that a gimmick? It looks(!) like otherwise you end up with plastic in your face? Is that really distracting or manageable for you?

Any and all thoughts appreciated

2. Site Sponsor

Pemby_mess Guest

Re: Anyone use a Bivy Sack?

I've used them a fair amount. I prefer packing a lightweight Bivy over a tent usually if I'm just going to be out a night or two. I've used Integral designs South Col, OR Alpine, black diamond tripod and military surplus units. Th OR Advanced is a really good system and you won't regret it if you happen to be a solo backpacker.

OR is the only bivy system I've seen that I feel is fully dialed. I always bring a sil-tarp with me as well, so the pole over the face is gimmicky if that is a perennial part of the system. Not gimmicky at all if your bivy system is your only shelter. With the tarp, the bivy portion over my face is going to be open anyway. If you were to be totally exposed in the bivy during a snowstorm, you would need the bivy envelope almost entirely shut in. In that case your breath will accumulate as condensation inside the sack - and it's really nice not to have that dripping wet fabric right on your nose, and getting your down bag all wet. The raised headspace also allows the goretex fabric more room to vent, and I feel creates less overall condensation. You can always leave the pole behind, if your chosen system doesn't require it.

An other important consideration is the zipper for the bivy should be on the same side as the zipper for your bag. Otherwise it is a really awkward system to get in and out of, and most salespeople won't remind you of that.

the pole is invaluable imo, I would never pack my OR bivy without it, it is a great feature....not just condensation but also bugs, I will sleep with the goretex layer open on warm nights, but the mesh screen is always closed
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Offering a thought.

Here's a camp that will keep you covered from sept alpine hunting to nov snow when you wake up to 12".
    Total camp is just over 5 lbs.
    Tent
    Mat
    Bag

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Offering a thought.

Here's a camp that will keep you covered from sept alpine hunting to nov snow when you wake up to 12".
    Total camp is just over 5 lbs.
    Tent
    Mat
    Bag

What tent/mat/bag is that?
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Carbon Reflex Tent

Static V mat

Any small compressible bag, I have numerous under 2 lbs.

I found down jackets with a hood (generally bought at Winners or clearance online) to increase warmth in the sack when not wishing to sacrifice a ridiculous amount of pack space and weight on a highly rated bag for cool weather hunts

Practical
    Lean and mean
    Last edited by Ourea; 04-30-2019 at 04:13 PM.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

I have, over the last couple of years, used those "emergency" bivy bags for light or unplanned spike camps and they have been AWESOME for $18.99. They're basically a space blanket sewn together into a tube so getting more than a couple of uses out of them is tough. But for 18.99 I will NEVER not have one in my emergency kit again.

As for long term use, as in multi day, please know that unless you spring up the cash for a higher quality breathable one you will be pretty disappointed with the amount of condensation inside them. It could (and probably will!) Ruin your hunt.

If it is roomy and breathable and you plan to have a tarp over head you should be good to go!

I’ve been using a bit of a hybrid:

https://www.taigaworks.ca/cart.php?m...ct_detail&p=12

I don’t know it’s the holy grail for all seasons, but it’s been great in all kinds of weather I am willing to hunt the high country in. Only experienced light frosts and snow so far.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

I have used a bivy numerous times. I have gone away from them for a couple of reasons.
    1. The weight is no different than a tarp tent really, most times people utilize a tarp along with a bivy. Which brings up the weight.
    2. Getting your sleep system ready in the rain is a real PIA if not using a tarp overhead.
    For these reasons, if i am going ultralight I carry my MSR twin Peaks with titanium poles and I do not carry a tarp.
    Mind you when I am in the mountains I rarely go for a couple of nights, usually 7 nights at a minimum. So no one predict the weather over that timeframe. But if I was one that wanted to use it for only a couple of nights, i wouldn't hesitate to utilize the bivy alone.

Quote Originally Posted by 300mag View Post
    I have used a bivy numerous times. I have gone away from them for a couple of reasons.
    1. The weight is no different than a tarp tent really, most times people utilize a tarp along with a bivy. Which brings up the weight.
    2. Getting your sleep system ready in the rain is a real PIA if not using a tarp overhead.
    For these reasons, if i am going ultralight I carry my MSR twin Peaks with titanium poles and I do not carry a tarp.
    Mind you when I am in the mountains I rarely go for a couple of nights, usually 7 nights at a minimum. So no one predict the weather over that timeframe. But if I was one that wanted to use it for only a couple of nights, i wouldn't hesitate to utilize the bivy alone.
    I agree with this completely. I used to have an Integral designs bivy bag. In my opinion a bivy bag is a very restrictive, uncomfortable and minimalist way to go for only a little savings in weight. Still need a good bag, still need a good mat, and to get decent protection a tarp is a good idea. If I was traveling every day and just trying to cover lots of distance, I might use one for a few days. But I’ve been in enough bad weather over the years on mountain trips to know that I don’t want to rely on a bivy setup for a multi day trip. In fact I went the other direction. I like 4 season tents for trips in the mountains. We were caught in the worst storm we’ve ever been in on an aug sheep hunt in 2016. Bent a pole, tent pulled up in the middle of the storm and we were lucky to keep it under control in the middle of driving rain and snow. Just the humidity in the air alone created a mild rain storm inside the tent and we were extremely lucky that it didn’t last longer. Any 3 season tent I’ve ever used would not have made it, and I can’t imagine trying to ride out 2 or 3 days of bad weather in a bivy bag.
    Just my experience.