Thread: Ice is off, fishin is Hot

Ice is off, fishin is Hot

Fly fishing season is upon us and Im happy again, the two week break waiting for the ice to melt was tough but time on the vice with all my new supplies made it quick. After an incredible winter on the hardwater the ice is disappearing by the day. Lakes down in the loops are past turnover and chronies are producing well, lakes up higher are icing off daily, so who has wet a line on the buggy whips? Ive had a few days on the water so far in higher elevation, two buddies and I stopped counting at 100 bows last week fishing the same flies at the same spot, then fished for three more hours of non stop. Fished another lake day of ice off and the Boobies got their attention putting some big girls in the net. Im going for 100+ days on the soft stuff to match the 100+ on the hardwater, if you want to follow on the instagram @Elevatedfishing but Ill post on here regularly, maybe start a fishing reports page.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ice is off, fishin is Hot

Ice still on at my place. What's Instagram?

Just took my family out in the canoe, got nothing not even a bite...normally I have lots of success with trolling with flies or leach patterns...this time though, nothing was surfacing, no insect hatch yet, so trolled deeperwith willow leaf flashers and worms,...the lake may have had a die off though, hard to say....suggestions???

If ice just came off the lake recently it could have been turning over... makes for slow fishing. Did you notice if the water was murky or if blobs were floating around at all?

Lots of lakes turning at the moment I have had a few good days starting with micro leeches and blood worms and more recently smashing with chronies. Caught a couple of my biggest to date upwards of 9 lbs on a lake not from from the loops. Tight lines !

First week after ice off the fishing is usually great on micro leaches, during turnover, fishing can be tough. The water is in a change from warm on the bottom back to cold on the bottom so the entire lake goes the same temp, usually murky and weeds floating. Turnover makes for slow fishing, but blobs fobs and boobies can get their attention. Post ice off the Chronnies are hatchin and the bite should be great. Yesterday it was madness, chironomids big small and multiple colours were hatchin good in deeper water. You wont always see the hatch on the surface, saw one fish rise yesterday but the fish were full of bugs off the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    If ice just came off the lake recently it could have been turning over... makes for slow fishing. Did you notice if the water was murky or if blobs were floating around at all?
    Not much for floaties....

Some lakes are turning late this year I'm thinking from cooler temps year over year I have seen same lakes turn within a week after ice off this year it's just starting and it's been almost 3 weeks on a couple lower lakes. I have boobies in my arsenal havent used them much to be honest and have had little luck with them probabaly because I have only given them a shot a couple times . It's going to heat up here in the next couple weeks then hatches on hatches!