Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin GPS Maps

Garmin GPS Maps

I have just purchased a Garmin 64S for back country navigation. Was hoping for recommendations for the best BC maps to get. Are the Back Road Map Books the best available? Are there any free to download maps that are worth while? and are there any available that include BC hunting specific information or would I have to just use along with Huntbuddy/iHunter apps for these details?

I greatly appreciate any help with this!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin GPS Maps

Don't bother with the Garmin topo maps, they are crap. The BRMB card is very good and has the WMU boundaries loaded, and sometimes additional information on lakes... not much for hunting info. There's a free map set I'd tried a few years ago called Ibycus Topo that was pretty good, but it's a bit of a pain to download and install, but it is free.

I have the back roads mapbook with the Garman rino655t and think it works really well there are a few mistakes in the maps,but I’m sure there is with all Maps. great detail

I have the Garmin 64ST with the backroad map book and it has never let me down!

Thanks to all of you for the info! Seems like my best bet is the BRMB, was just hesitant as I have run into enough mistakes in their printed copies. Will for sure check out the Ibycus topo as well, can't go wrong with free

I've used Garmin Topo Canada for years & find it just fine. Haven't found the need for my GPS to show me MU boundaries, I use Google Earth & paper Backroads maps for that. The GPS keeps me from getting lost, find my way back to starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    I've used Garmin Topo Canada for years & find it just fine. Haven't found the need for my GPS to show me MU boundaries, I use Google Earth & paper Backroads maps for that. The GPS keeps me from getting lost, find my way back to starting point.
    If I had the Garmin maps preloaded on my GPS when I bought it, I'd have just stuck with them. But given the choice of which one to spend $100+ on, the BRMB maps are much better.

While we are on the topic, what is the ultimate GPS/Map combo? Is it the Garmin with Backroads Maps? Is it some other device? I have used my Itelephone with maps and that works but battery life and ease of use is not the same as using AA batteries..
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    While we are on the topic, what is the ultimate GPS/Map combo? Is it the Garmin with Backroads Maps? Is it some other device? I have used my Itelephone with maps and that works but battery life and ease of use is not the same as using AA batteries..
    Been wondering this myself...I plan on putting some more miles on my boots this year, venturing farther off the beaten path. Obviously good to always carry a good paper copy, but I would be nice to have a solid GPS as well.

I wish we has something as good as onX maps up here in Canada.

Ended up buying the BRMB chip and very impressed with the detail included. Pricey but well worth it in my opinion.