Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Calling

Re: Black Bear Calling

Thanks again fellas I appreciate the replies that all of you have taken the time to do so !
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 04-26-2019 at 09:06 PM.

Calling bears is fun but cold calling is tough because bears lose interest pretty quick, pretty much non stop calling until they are in range which happens fast. Called in lots of black bears, shot a blonde at 5 yds eager and comin in hot. I would locate them first, then start wailing when you get the wind and terrain to your advantage and can judge the reaction. Bears can be very sneaky too, cold calling I had a few sneak in very close under 15yds, before breaking cover and huffin, puffin, poppin and hoppin trying to scare whatever was killing said "bunny" away, now that gets the blood pumpin. Tips, Stand up don't sit down, call non stop until its where you want it, shoot straight because they are hungry and not easily intimidated and know where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Calling bears is fun but cold calling is tough because bears lose interest pretty quick, pretty much non stop calling until they are in range which happens fast. Called in lots of black bears, shot a blonde at 5 yds eager and comin in hot. I would locate them first, then start wailing when you get the wind and terrain to your advantage and can judge the reaction. Bears can be very sneaky too, cold calling I had a few sneak in very close under 15yds, before breaking cover and huffin, puffin, poppin and hoppin trying to scare whatever was killing said "bunny" away, now that gets the blood pumpin. Tips, Stand up don't sit down, call non stop until its where you want it, shoot straight because they are hungry and not easily intimidated and know where you are.
    So basically, when calling in bears with distress calls, wear a diaper? ... Check!

On a related note... I just saw Wentrot posted a relevant video on YT. Got a story there??

Seen a small black bear sharing a field with 4 deer this afternoon. Wailed on my deer stopper call. The bear looked and went back to chowing the green. Must be vegan.

Sometimes bears come charging in, sometimes they just ignore it.
    I almost got eaten by a grizzly using a fawn in distress call. Shot him at 7 yards or so full on charge. Had seen him 500+ yards away - he suck through bush the entire distance quietly and came leaping over snowbank at about 10-12 yards.
    As others have noted be careful.
    Twist and pull.

Douglas boze's book has lots of calling information I've yet to try. But half his stories are bears charging up

Here is one from last night, took 15 minutes or so for him to appear. Certainly the calmest approach I’ve seen from a call.

https://youtu.be/q06O9ewAK_A

Quote Originally Posted by Wentrot View Post
    Here is one from last night, took 15 minutes or so for him to appear. Certainly the calmest approach I’ve seen from a call.

https://youtu.be/q06O9ewAK_A
    I saw that on my YouTube feed last night. Super cool and made me think of this thread.

Are you primarily filming or are you thinking of harvesting?

Oh I had the rifle just wasn’t the bear I am after. Beauty colour tho

Duplicate a calf moose in distress in areas where moose and bear interact. It is a short call … one to three seconds in length ... "maaa ...".

It has worked for us in getting a grizzly that was walking directly away to turn for a shot behind the shoulder, and on a black bear that was bedded down in some poplars. This boar immediately stood up and keyed in on the location of a second call. He came across an open meadow for 100 yards or so before the "calf" put him down with the .257.

As soon as the cow moose start to drop their calves, usually June 1st or so in our country, the bear switch from vegetation to baby moose. We have shot more than a few trailing cows with a newborn calf along the shores of Babine Lake. They are relentless at trailing moose, even before the cows drop the calf.