Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Calling

Re: Black Bear Calling

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    I am not sure if I have ever called in a bear or not. I have had bears show up within an hour of distress calls, but at similar frequency to when I am not calling. And when they come in, they either come in grazing or just come in and lay down to nap. If I had to guess, I would say that all my calling has been unsuccessful. It would be neat to learn how to do it right.
    I don't call unless i see a bear. You learn allot by watching their reaction. I always start soft and increase volume unti I get a reaction and gauge further calling off that reaction. Most times they either ignore it or bolt. If you get one to turn and face you, then you have a chance to call him in.

The only bear we ever had run to us while calling was a griz. We saw him about 900m up a slide and wanted to see how he responded to our elk calling. He closed the distance by half in no time. We f'd off.
    And probably half the bears I've called have just showed up. Like I said earlier, keep your head on a swivel
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-23-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I’ve had some success with a rabbit distress call. Saw a bear booking it away from me, hammered on the call and he hit the brakes and came back. Had another one sneak in and poke his head out of some salal at 10 yards as well.
    I've called them with cottontail in distress. You really gotta keep your head up, it can happen quick and silent.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Belly View Post
    I've called them with cottontail in distress. You really gotta keep your head up, it can happen quick and silent.
    Yeah the last one we knew he was around cuz of the steaming pile of crap but we didn’t hear him until he was almost on top of us. Really gotta pick your spots for calling otherwise you could be in for an interesting situation

Thanks so much for your replies fellas. I appreciate it ! !
    Also do you think my choice of locations would be good for black bears ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies fellas. I appreciate it ! !
    Also do you think my choice of locations would be good for black bears ?
    Arctic Lake
    Boston bar Nahatlatch area is busy numbers meh but some quality bears can be found at times

Lytton less busy but I would recommend behind Spence’s instead. Better numbers and 25% colour phase but average size is smaller

I’ve called cats in too with a distress call. I tend to use them when I have a visual on a deer now. It’s unsettling walking out in the dark after being chirped at. Hunting with a buddy is better when calling.

I am interested in calling as well but would only call from a location with good 360 views and with a partner. Them bears are sneaky!

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

I use a Steeleco call. Brings them in on a line, as long as it doesn't run out of breath.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Yes you can call in bears. But have enough gun if a grizzly comes a calling. I spot and stalk early morning and late evening now for black bears.
    7 grizzly's live around me so I be leery to call them to dinner(me).
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Hmmm called in numerous black bears..unfortunatley grizzlies too..Lemon lake.. up high3/4 way up Horsefly mountain..Viewland mountain area also.distressed / dying rabbitt call...
    As stated...be vigilant at all times..your giving your exact location to the bears, putting them in feast mode..and you dont know which direction they will come from...
    Srupp