Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Calling

Black Bear Calling

Okay fellas I have never hunted specifically for Black bears but always had a tag in my pocket when moose hunting . If your hunting Black bear in the spring do you use calls ? Also thinking maybe a trip across the Fraser from Boston Bar or up one of the side roads in the canyon to take me to the East maybe around Lytton, , etc. for spring bear . I know I need to look at the maps but do you think that would be a good choice for areas not too far from the Lowermainland ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 04-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Black Bear Calling

Yes I carry a fawn in distress. I don’t use it all the time but in comes in handy drawing in bears that are out in the open in crappy stalking locations. I have not had much luck blind calling

Its also fun just to call them at times

I tried called a bear last year that had been spooked when a herd of cows it was grazing with saw me and bolted.

It did not see me or smell me, it was just alarmed by the stampede.

I went back the next morning and called with a rabbit call.

A coyote and the herd of cows came looking. No bear.

Ive called several. I like to play around with the call on bears I know are either not shooters or on bears that are in a real nasty spot. Keep your head on a swivel . I've had a few show up at real close range that I had no idea were even there.

I use a primos bear buster call or a Primos ivory pallet plate call and try and sound like a lost elk calf.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 04-23-2019 at 12:32 PM.

If a person can mimic a cub in distress, it makes bears go nuts! Have your rifle ready lol.

Fawn in distress call is not likely to work until does start dropping their fawns. If you happen to witness the blessed event, then it might be practical to use the call then. If there is one thing that will bring a bear in full “boar” it will be the smell of placenta in the air.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Fawn in distress call is not likely to work until does start dropping their fawns. If you happen to witness the blessed event, then it might be practical to use the call then. If there is one thing that will bring a bear in full “boar” it will be the smell of placenta in the air.
    I have had luck all season with a fawn in distress but you are correct if you get the when(June)/where correct with deer fawning it is deadly.

I am not sure if I have ever called in a bear or not. I have had bears show up within an hour of distress calls, but at similar frequency to when I am not calling. And when they come in, they either come in grazing or just come in and lay down to nap. If I had to guess, I would say that all my calling has been unsuccessful. It would be neat to learn how to do it right.

I’ve had some success with a rabbit distress call. Saw a bear booking it away from me, hammered on the call and he hit the brakes and came back. Had another one sneak in and poke his head out of some salal at 10 yards as well.

Bring your cat tags as well.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)