Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a new hunting/fishing trailer today

Re: Picked up a new hunting/fishing trailer today

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    338wm - funny you mention the extra pipe stack. I remember years ago driving behind a camper and the guy had the top stack extension on a hinge so that when he traveled he would fold down the top stack section and than somehow secure it along the lower section. I remember thinking, (WTH is this now - double barrel smoke stacks?" Must be a bird hunter.LOL. But this makes good sense.

Plus the smell and sounds of a wood heater provides a degree of familiarity and comfort. Wood is pretty easy and clean - plus it gives you a place to warm a can of stew on.

Chain saw can quickly fill a few boxes of dry wood in a hurry so there's no excuse or need to hunt for wood especially when I'm driving through the dry woods on warm fall days anyways. Yes - wood is probably the way to go.
    Any updates?
    I'm looking to put (and leave) my 20 foot toy hauler on a piece of property, and was thinking of installing a wood stove. It's got a propane furnace etc...but I'd really like to get some wood fired heat in there.
    A co-worker (welder), built me a nice wood "stove" out of a 30lb propane tank. I like it, but it's limited to wood under 8" and needs to be fed every few hours.

Mine is a 20 lb tank and can use up to 10", a 30 lb should be able to handle a longer piece of wood.

Mine was built "vertically". Not the right move I'm thinking....

Nice stove you've got there!!

[QUOTE=338win mag;2096556]Mine is a 20 lb tank and can use up to 10", a 30 lb should be able to handle a longer piece of wood.
    [/QUOTE

That's a great looking little stove build - nice. Thanks for that. Did you put a little liner on the floor of that stove?

Rieber
    Not sure what you mean by..."floor"
    I put fire board on the floor of my camper with air space, and the walls surrounding the stove I use tin and fire board with airspace. I also use a heavy baking sheet in the front of the stove to catch anything falling out the door when its opened.

If your referring to the bottom of the stove.......Propane tanks are surprisingly thick steel so no worries there, I put a couple inches of sand in the stove as a buffer. I would say to make sure your door is a couple inches above the bottom of the stove so when you open the door embers dont fall out every time you open the door.

I was referring to the bottom of the stove. Sand is easy - thanks.

Has anybody converted a snowmobile trailer? I like the height on them. I would love to buy a 16ft all aluminum and dress it up.

Love this thread, keep it coming. I bought a cargo trailer and working on it right now. Does anybody have suggestions for putting a wood stove chimney out the roof or side?

Quote Originally Posted by Fosey View Post
    Love this thread, keep it coming. I bought a cargo trailer and working on it right now. Does anybody have suggestions for putting a wood stove chimney out the roof or side?
    I'm thinking to exit out the side and then have a hinged top section to get the stack draft but then to lower below the roof line so I don't rip it off in the tight bush.

For ideas for converting an enclosed trailer for hunting check out Inside pics of the Lodge for ideas. Search it on this hunting gear forum. Good Luck with your build.