Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a new hunting/fishing trailer today

Re: Picked up a new hunting/fishing trailer today

I also have a wood stove made by cubic mini called the grizzly it’s very small it’s in my shipping container hunting cabin. Thw wood stove can mount on the wall and takes little space. Really warm and dry heat

witb that probably heater your will be really damp I know from experience!!

Always been a dream of mine to own one of these rigs, once I secured enough funds and space. Until then I'll live vicariously through this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I also have a wood stove made by cubic mini called the grizzly it’s very small it’s in my shipping container hunting cabin. Thw wood stove can mount on the wall and takes little space. Really warm and dry heat

witb that probably heater your will be really damp I know from experience!!
    I appreciate your feedback. I certainly don't want a damp box to sleep in. My very first thought about heat was going to be a marine diesel heater and there even was a new unit for sale locally on one of these sites but I didn't buy the unit. I'll have to re-evaluate my plans on this heat issue as I plan to hold onto this unit for the long haul and I want to do things right the first time. Too many have voiced their opinion over the dry/wet heat issue and I would be stupid to ignore lessons learned by others. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rieber View Post
    I appreciate your feedback. I certainly don't want a damp box to sleep in. My very first thought about heat was going to be a marine diesel heater and there even was a new unit for sale locally on one of these sites but I didn't buy the unit. I'll have to re-evaluate my plans on this heat issue as I plan to hold onto this unit for the long haul and I want to do things right the first time. Too many have voiced their opinion over the dry/wet heat issue and I would be stupid to ignore lessons learned by others. Thank you all.
    Been warned about propane heat due to CO issue by RV retailers in an enclosed space. Electric heat with solar panels and/or small portable generator seems to be safest option.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepJeep View Post
    How hard would it be to hook up a small vented wood stove?
    I had a guy make a wood stove out of a propane tank for me,then I put it in my 10ft camper, now I am putting it in my 8ft camper that I am currently building.
    It takes very little wood to keep things nice and warm, a wheelbarrow full will last a week even in the coldest weather, I have been out in minus 25-30 and you are in a t shirt when sitting around in the evening.

Its hard to dry wet clothes any other way, I will never rely on propane again, its damp and if something go's wrong with your furnace then you are ****ed, as has happened to me before.

I never drive with embers blowing around, lol, I do have a cap for the top if I need to use it, never have used it.
    My pipe just sticks out the roof maybe 6" when I'm driving, then when I get to my spot I simply add another 4ft section and start the fire, take it down when its time to go, easy peazy, my hunting buddies all want one.

338wm - funny you mention the extra pipe stack. I remember years ago driving behind a camper and the guy had the top stack extension on a hinge so that when he traveled he would fold down the top stack section and than somehow secure it along the lower section. I remember thinking, (WTH is this now - double barrel smoke stacks?" Must be a bird hunter.LOL. But this makes good sense.

Plus the smell and sounds of a wood heater provides a degree of familiarity and comfort. Wood is pretty easy and clean - plus it gives you a place to warm a can of stew on.

Chain saw can quickly fill a few boxes of dry wood in a hurry so there's no excuse or need to hunt for wood especially when I'm driving through the dry woods on warm fall days anyways. Yes - wood is probably the way to go.

Post pics of the bunks and counters when you get it set up. I am taking a closer look at the 8X16 or 7X14 dual axle.
    A friend bought an old $100 camper and used the fridge and stove in his trailer. His wood stove heats it.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Nice trailer! Good potential.

I did a similar thing when I ordered a 6' x 12' x 6'-6"h (extra height to fit a SxS in) spec'd with the following back in 2014: Insulation...cheap to get it done when they are building the unit. The extra clearance Dexter Axle with 15" tires that comes with higher 5" tall spring shackles and raises the trailer to the height of my F350 clearance wise. A 3' wide RV door with screen door that uses an external key lock and a flip lock inside (can't get locked in). It has an opaque window and I would have preferred a tinted window you could see out...didn't know it would come opaque). Two 30"x30" sliding and screened tinted windows...great for ventilation and no claustrophobia). Eight tie downs on the floor to retain the SxS, etc.

Spec was for a folding jack that is out of the way of your tailgate or camper stairs versus the vertical screw jack that was standard. Also rear stabilizing jacks so the unit doesn't tip back when unhooked (also allows you to jack up the trailer to change a tire). I went with rear "barn doors" and use the aluminum ramp off my quad trailer. I did have to add a couple of channels under the trailer to slide the ramp into to carry it...made the channels from steel building studs and screwed them on.

Add-ons that I've done are the addition of 25 of the largest sized vinyl covered screw in cup hooks Canadian Tires (CT) sells inside to hang up clothes, towels, etc. I added a dollar store paper towel rack over the table location. I added an "A" shaped 3/4" plywood deck to the front of the trailer with a few eye bolts to carry gas cans or my Honda Generator if I take a freezer along and want to run it while traveling.

The table is a removable folding unit and chairs are folders with a piece of a Z-lite Thermarest loose on them for insulation. I use one of the magnetic $5 CT LED flashlights over the table as it sticks to a ceiling screw just fine. The trailer came with two inside LED lights, but the truck ignition switch has to be on or in accessory mode to get power to the trailer, so a bit of a pain. I run a 4,000 BTU propane heater to knock the chill off at breakfast as required. Bed is a folding steel framed "Swedish" cot with a foam pad I bought many years ago that sleeps very comfortably.

With the extra height of the trailer I like an external step for getting into the trailer. So far that has been a 30 yr-old plastic milk crate but I need to upgrade to something a bit more durable. Probably fab a decent box for the purpose.

Good luck with it! I like mine!
    Last edited by Blockcaver; 04-24-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Sent you a PM regarding diesel air heaters...

I added a 3 inch lift kit to my cargo trailer (Torfelx axle). It's not much of a lift, but makes a world of difference.
    Also added a RV door lock and latch for the man door and a fold out step for easy access.
    There are so many ways to customize these trailers...Have fun.

Where a wood stove shines is drying clothes but they are messy and take up floor space. A stove big enough to burn through the night, unless it's a very tight, will get enthusiastic and cook you out. Then burn out. The length of burn time is dependent on how much wood you can stuff in. Dinky little stoves are cute but useless. It's tough getting up early when the trailer is cold.

Propane furnaces from campers don't kick out that much heat, only about 10,000 BTU. Drying clothes is slower. And 10,000BTU furnace in camper isn't enough for that November draw. The furnace fans use a lot of juice, as in one night=one battery. So you need to recharge. Fall is rarely sunny, and the orange dot on the horizons doesn't kick out much, so meet Genny.
    Last edited by Downwindtracker2; 04-24-2019 at 07:10 PM.