Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone hunt 3-33 for goats--or just hiked it?

Re: Anyone hunt 3-33 for goats--or just hiked it?

PM sent your way

There is a fair herd of goats up Mount Piebiter, some on Nosebag Mountain, and you can often glass them from the Noel Creek road in 3-33 zone B. If you apply north of carpenter lake there is a lot of goats on or around Eldorado mountain in 3-32 zone F.

Thanks pit bull and everyone else for the info. Still pouring over old posts and trying to come up with a starting point goat plan for the LEH draw and open season.

Same thing Steelpulse and others have said-- hard to describe how tough the access can be in 3-33 if you haven't seen it yourself. I would guess that many of the hunts in that zone end without people making it to the alpine. 3-32 can be less steep in parts but perhaps a little more pressure for that reason. There are a lot of trailheads in 3-32 and a few trailheads in 3-33 for rec users but those dont always tend to be good spots to see wildlife bc of the foot traffic all summer. PM me if you've narrowed it down to specific areas you might have questions about. I haven't been everywhere in those zones but I've explored a bit.

Quite a few goats in 3-33. Depends a little on the zone you are putting in for.
    If you think quad, forget it. There is some hiking involved
    Had a tag in that region two seasons ago. Scouted pre-season, saw plenty of goats. Was watching goats in the evening of the first day of hunt. Saw billies and a herd. Got my billy on day 3. Hiking out hide, meat and camp was a a little bit of a workout. My first goat ever and turned out to be trophy size.
    Had a tag in a different zone couple of years earlier. Found goats right away. But billies were just outside of my zone in that area.
    Be prepared for epic days. You will not find lots of humans where the goats are... just my opinion....

3-33 is "God's Country".

My 2nd year hunting, won a LEH Doe Draw for Nov 2015.

With chains in 2ft of snow, made it to Kingdom Lake for base camp in -20.

Also put in for a Goat Draw with almost 2 to 1 odds, didn't get it.

I would say you need to be in, "Sheep Shape", to make it up to where the Goats are.

This photo taken from my iPhone, (they suck for perspective), doesn't come close to what you are really having to deal with,

to get where they are...

Anyone who goes for it and pulls it off?

My hats off to you! Would have to rank as one of the best life experiences ever!

He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    3-33 is "God's Country".

My 2nd year hunting, won a LEH Doe Draw for Nov 2015.

With chains in 2ft of snow, made it to Kingdom Lake for base camp in -20.

Also put in for a Goat Draw with almost 2 to 1 odds, didn't get it.

I would say you need to be in, "Sheep Shape", to make it up to where the Goats are.

This photo taken from my iPhone, (they suck for perspective), doesn't come close to what you are really having to deal with,

to get where they are...

Anyone who goes for it and pulls it off?

My hats off to you! Would have to rank as one of the best life experiences ever!

As I said, I got a trophy size billy in 3-33 somewhere in that general area. I would argue sheep is easier than goat in terms of terrain. I like goat in high alpine early in the season when it's nice and warm. of course, you gotta be in shape and willing to suffer. It was my best hunt so far even though I go for early season alpine mule as well. The harder the access, the longer the hike in, the better the hunt. It's simple.